1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Selling Roosters ~ What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kuntrygirl, Jan 6, 2012.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have about (12) 1 year old roosters that I am selling. Someone contacted me and asked me the price. Because roosters are sometimes hard to sell, I told him $10.00 per rooster. He emailed me back and asked if he could get a discount if he bought all 12. I told him yes. If I sold all 12 roosters, it would be $120.00 but I told him that I could sell all 12 of them for $95.00 or $7.91 per rooster. That is a $25.00 discount. He emailed me back and said that he was coming from another city (not my problem as far as where he is traveling from) and asked if I could sell all 12 of them for $85.00. That would be a $35.00 discount or $7.08 per rooster.

Would you sell 12 roosters for $85.00? If I didn't sell them, they would be processed and put in the freezer.

What what you do if you were me?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    um what does he want a dozen roosters for anyway [​IMG]

if you don't want them i'd say that's a fairly reasonable price

1 person likes this.
  3. Cowgirl75446

Cowgirl75446 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Texas
    I would definitely sell the roosters for that. Around here, I am lucky to get $5.00 each on a rooster, even for my very expensive breeds. I usually have to give them away. [​IMG]

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Sure take it that's a good deal. But yeah, what does he want them for? If he wants them for cock fighting or there is a suspicion that he does, than I wouldn't sell them for $50.00 each. Honestly, if he's willing to pay that much for them, he doesn't want them for meat. Either cock fighting or their feathers.

And oh btw...I don't want to know what he wants them for. [​IMG] We rehome ours....to people who like roosters because they want a rooster. At least, so far we've been able to do that. I'm sure we couldn't rehome twelve at once though.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I'm not sure what he wants them for. I was afraid to ask. The roosters I have are MEAN! [​IMG] They wouldn't make a great mate for a hen. They are too rough. They damaged a lot of my hens. They are too too too aggressive.

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I'd love to get that for a rooster! I usually get $2 for bantams and $3 for LF.

7. Midwest Lizabeth

Midwest Lizabeth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Let me start with "that we are all different and come from different backgrounds". If you need the money, you can sell them. If you can make do without the money, process them and put them in your freezer. If I could get that much money for nasty, mean roosters, I'd most likely sell them and ask no questions. (I gave away some of my nice roos because I had too many and they were too nice to go to freezer camp. . . after I ran an ad on craigslist and got no takers.)

If you are strongly against fighting birds, and all that represents, call your local spca and see if they want to set up a "sting", or follow the buyer and bust him. . . 'cause someone willing to pay that kind of money for that many roosters might well be into fighting birds.

Just some thoughts. . .good luck!

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:X2 I give cockerels away. Sometimes they end up on the dinner table, sometimes they are kept as part of a flock.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    That sounds like a very good price to me.

10. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I can't GIVE roosters away most of the time. (I generally don't anyway, unwanted roosters become dinner at my house) I'd say it's a great price if they're just plain old roosters and not show quality birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by