Selling sex-linked ducklings as straight run

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
I have two batches of Ancona ducklings due to hatch in a couple of weeks and I will be selling most of them. Unintentionally, due to the colors of my drake and hens, they're going to be sex-linked. I want to sell them as straight run because I don't want to have a bunch of boys left. But I feel kind of bad not telling people, since they would be able to know the genders earlier than usual. Has anyone sold sex-linked ducklings or chicks as straight run? Is that something that breeders can honestly do?

As long as you don't deliberately give buyers one sex over the other, you should be fine. I've been interested in Cream Legbars, which are autosexing. Commercial hatcheries still list them available as pullets, cockerels, or straight run. If you can tell what the gender is at hatching and still sell "straight run" as they are, then there's no reason you can't too. I would say that it wouldn't be right to give someone all males if they are ordering straight run, though. Make an honest effort to balance sex of the hatchlings and you'd be good in my opinion.

As long as you don't deliberately give buyers one sex over the other, you should be fine. I've been interested in Cream Legbars, which are autosexing. Commercial hatcheries still list them available as pullets, cockerels, or straight run. If you can tell what the gender is at hatching and still sell "straight run" as they are, then there's no reason you can't too. I would say that it wouldn't be right to give someone all males if they are ordering straight run, though. Make an honest effort to balance sex of the hatchlings and you'd be good in my opinion.
I wouldn't deliberately give anyone all males. I'm hoping they will come over and pick out the ones they want themselves. I think that would be the best way. That's good to know, if hatcheries do it then I won't worry too much about it. Thank you for answering!

Back
Top Bottom