Selling some of your flock...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AnniesEggFarm, Sep 9, 2009.

1. AnniesEggFarm

AnniesEggFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    What is a fair price to ask for healthy 1 yr old layers RIR, barred, EEggers Etc..... We seem to have grown to quite a large # and need to find new homes but don't know what is a fair price. I have quite a few people interested...

Thanks
    Jenn

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Before I started hatching and raising my own, I would pay $10 for a pullet at POL. For a year old hen, I would probably pay right about the same.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It really depends on the market in your area for them. I sell mine for $10 each here. Try checking with your local feed store to see if anyone has laying hens for sale right now and if so, how much they are asking. If nobody does, ask them how much people have gotten for them in the past. Just remember not to undercut yourself. It's always better to start out asking high and then go lower if needed, then to just cut yourself short from the get go. [​IMG]

4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    There is no way I could get $10 for a bird in this area. I would say whatever the market bears. Honestly, I'd offer half that for a hen, depending on breed and age. I offer my barnyard special hens for $3.50 and they go like hotcakes.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:If they sell that well, then you might not be getting what you can out of them. I would try to raise your price to at least $5 and see what happens. If someone complains, I'd tell them you had to because the cost of feed.

6. If your birds are healthy and have not been exposed to MG, Coryza or any mites or lice I would expect to get TOP dollar for them.

10 bucks for a pullet, and 15 bucks for a laying hen with a few years left in her.

Bringing home a healthy hen that is laying right now that can be intigrated into my flock easily is worth a lot of money in my eyes.

7. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:If they sell that well, then you might not be getting what you can out of them. I would try to raise your price to at least $5 and see what happens. If someone complains, I'd tell them you had to because the cost of feed.

The reason I sell them for that is because I want to get rid of them! I realize I could charge more, but I am also happy to spread the love to others...

You can look up the Markets page in farm newspapers to see what hens go for at auction. That $10 price you're asking would never get a sale, even in the small farm world -- that's a price only for hobbyists. I'm not making any judgement about this, I'm just saying no farmer would ever pay that for birds. I think if you can get that much, you should try.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by