Selling the girls, eating the boys- Australorp, JG, BR or Maran?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cluckcluck42, May 26, 2010.

1. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Title says it all I guess! I am in the process of purchasing some eggs for the purpose of keeping/selling the hens and eating the boys. In terms of fastest growth and best meat, which do you guys recommend? The Marans would be cuckoo marans, or possibly a mix of cuckoo and BCM down the line.

I'm so interested in what everyone thinks, which breed I should go for? I am almost leaning towards Marans seeing the size of my BCM roo and my love of the dark eggs. My roo is a year old though and I did not raise him, so I don't really know how fast they get big. Ideally I would be looking to slaughter around 3-5 months of age. We have two RIR x EE roos that are almost 4 months old and ready to be eaten. buying an axe and doing the job this weekend. They are a fair size, should be decent eating.

Wish I could do a poll! What do y'all think? My choices are Australorp, Barred Rock, Jersey Giants or Marans.

2. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Marans are the hottest sellers among the breeds mentioned, at least around here. They are bringing a good price at the auctions. Probably because of those dark eggs. I also like the meat the boys are currently putting on, and they are doing so reasonably fast.

But, this is my first time raising them.

3. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Thanks Buster! How old are they when you are slaughtering them? Do you have cuckoos or BCMs? We have a big BCM roo and my plan is to cross him with whatever meat breed I do choose. He is HUGE!!!

4. Paganrose

Paganrose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Albany,, Wisconsin
    From what I understand that Jersey Giants are slow growing, they build thier large frame in the first year and put on meat in thier second. If butchered at 8 to 9 months they will dress out about 6 lbs, at 18months 7+lbs. I am currently raising some, and planning to over winter a couple of extra roos to see how big they will dress out in the spring, but most (keeping a couple of hens & a roo) will be butcherd late this fall.

Thier meat is very flavorful, and moist when cooked at a lower temp, for longer (slow cooker for example). Very yummy!!!

5. petrelline

petrelline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Los Gatos, CA
    The australorps and JGs are big but take a long time to get there. The barred rocks will be by far the fastest growing, but the breasts are often on the thin side. On the other hand the legs are huge so if you like dark meat they're a good choice. The marans will be somewhere in the middle for speed, get plenty large, and taste absolutely terrific. The problem with Marans right now is that they're incredibly expensive for decent lines, and the cheaper lines (especially hatchery cuckoo lines) really aren't very good. It quantity of eggs matters to you barred rocks will lay rings around any marans.

I love rocks but if you can get good Marans eggs inexpensively I'd go with Marans -- they make a tasty bird and they eggs are pretty. If you want fast for heritage dual-purpose and lots of eggs I'd go with the rocks. You really can't go wrong with a rock.

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I would go with the Light Sussex. Mine are huge and they grow really fast. The hens tend to grow at a normal rate, but the males seem to get large fast. My Rooster weighs about 13 lbs and he is 7 months old now.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    we weighed my friends house of bachelors (at least 15 breeds) the other day from that I decided the marans were the fastest gaining non-meatie. I would go with them. that white rock of hers looked huge but didn't weigh more and after holding him I felt he was more bone weight than the marans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by