selling the occasional dozen

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by key west chick, Oct 20, 2010.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Every once in awhile, I have a few extra dozen or so eggs that I cant give away or eat. Maybe like 2 or 3 dozen a week. Not enough to really advertise for selling but more than i want to waste. Does anyone here sell extra eggs from their house? How do you do it? How do people know if you have them to sell or not? Im worried we might have people knocking on the door on a Sunday morning at dawn wanting eggs. It would be nice to make a few dollars to help with the cost of feed.

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I have a sign by the road and word of mouth. I just wish they would start laying more......[​IMG]

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    we have signs, clist them, put them in the market bulletin, etc. etc.
    You could make a sign that would have a flip down for "no" when you are out of eggs...

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Supply a farmer's market with your excess. You don't have to sit and wait for a buyer, just sell them a bit lower so that they can make a profit too.

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Word of mouth, word of mouth, part of our barter circle --- we also gave some away to parents of our kids friends - like drug pushers here this one is free! [​IMG] Pretty soon they were back and we would say Oh, we charge $3.50 a dozen how many dozen would you like?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Word of mouth does it for me. Only rarely do I have eggs pile up in the fridge.

7. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    I just give them away to friends and family. No one in the house other than me believes in selling the eggs to friends... I have always wanted to do an honor stand at the top of the driveway. You know a little cooler with a few dozen eggs in it with a sign, and a jar for money, and anyone who drives by can pull over and grab a dozen and put the money in the jar....that's just my idea [​IMG]

8. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Quote:I might be able to do something like this with veg, but eggs are ammunition to a certain element, if you get my drift . . . . [​IMG]

9. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    For a few dozen here and there word of mouth should do the trick.

We sell a little more than that. Last summer I put a sign out by the road for a few months to get customers. When they stopped in I'd show them where the eggs were kept in the cooler in the barn and told them to help themselves from then on and to drop the money in a coffee can out there. Once we had enough steady customers I took down the sign. I don't think there has been a day in the past two weeks that somebody hasn't stopped to get eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by