selling unwanted chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sarahthewolf, Jun 28, 2016.

1. sarahthewolf

sarahthewolf New Egg

Jun 27, 2016
    i don't know if this was the best category for this but was the best I could find. so im wondering what would be the best time and way to sell some chicks and what would the price range be

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

the best forum for this in in the buy-sell-trade section

3. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    There are many factors to selling chickens, some of them would be age, breed, quality, gender, location.
    What do you have?

4. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Check your local market: Craigslist, Facebook, farmers markets, etc., and see what (if) chicks are selling for. Depending on your area, selling a few may be more painful than it's worth.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Chicks....best time for me is to sell them asap after hatch. You get the cute factor, and you don't have to invest in a lot of feed or heat.

The problem with this is sexing. Unless you're breeding sex links, you've got to sell them straight run. This cuts the price down in my area. I have lots of competition from local feed stores that sell sexed pullets pretty reasonable.

I currently sell straight run Olive Eggers for $4 each, day old.

Hatchery or feed store birds that I buy and grow out, I charge a dollar or two over the purchase price plus approx $1 a week for brooding. Same for chicks I breed and grow out to coop ready age.

The best sellers for me are point of lay pullets, but you have to have the space to grow them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by