Selling via Internet

vtchickenlady

Songster
11 Years
Sep 5, 2008
I've been a crafter for over 30 years. I sew, make candles and soap. I've been selling my stuff by attending local craft fairs etc. I've been investigating selling over the Internet. Yes, I know about Etsy but I want my own web site. Building a site looks very time consuming. I have computer skills but not in web building so there will be a learning curve. The problem is it seems like once its built it will require a ton of time to keep it updated, upload pics, descriptions of products etc. Has anyone here done this and has it been profitable in the long run given the time investment? I just don't see how there is enough time in the day to make the products and keep a web site current too.

I have thought of that too, but I found that Etsy already has the recognition they have done all the work so you just have to type here, click there and you are up and running.

And people who go to Etsy are fine with paying what handcraft is worth.

It is a little time consuming when you first start with a website. For one thing, you're starting from scratch and that takes a long time to make it look just right like you want it. For another, you said you'll be learning which will take a little longer.

However, once you get the hang of it, it will not take nearly as long, and once you get your site established, updating is much easier than creating.

I also do not personally feel it is that expensive. For about 60.00 per year through godaddy is where I got mine. You can put your web address on business cards, flyers. You'd be surprised the amount of local business you can get through your site, even if they can peruse your stock online and make the decision its worth the drive to your next craft show.

I'm developing a custom e-commerce system for my homemade soap business. If you want I can set you up a store with it for cost when I'm finished. It would probably be about two dollars a month.

Its gotten to the point where I've had so many people ask me if I had a web site that I feel like I need one. I also have a lot of local businesses that want me to link to them. Thats another reason why I need my own site as opposed to Etsy. I tried to do it a couple years ago w/ Yahoo, bought domain and everything, but the choices for applications with that program was to limited that I thought the web site would look cheap so I gave up. I've checked out Go-Daddy. Any other web building programs that ya'll could recommend?

http://sites.google.com/ is really good if all you want is an info site. It's free, no adds, got lots of themes, image hosting, and is really easy to use.
ETA: and if you already own your domain you can use it with Google Sites

Last edited:
Tripod.com has a site that you can build a website for free at least they use to, it was very easy to use and I knew nothing about even computers back then, and if you find ya need more they have one you can decide to buy too.

Please check out www.hyenacart.com It's a collective site for crafters, artists, etc, similar to Etsy, but with way more help from admins, other crafters, etc. There is a message board, too, and lots of support and friendly people. Etsy is, to me, too big to start out with. With Hyenacart, you can buy your domain name and not have to link to Hyenacart address. I mean, instead of your site name reading http://www.hyenacart.com/maryshandmades it will read http://www.maryhandmades.com but take you to your hyenacart. Check it out, I love it there.

Back
Top Bottom