Selling: when to start and amt to charge?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamatink7, Sep 18, 2016.

1. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    We've been getting 1-2 eggs a day from the 30th then past 3 days 3 eggs daily. We will be getting 15-19 eggs daily (now r 15 pullets 20wk old).
    The sizes are small-large but mainly in between small-medium eggs. Basically pullet sized.
    We ate 1 1/2 dozen so far but of course still have 2 dozen left.
    Do we put a sign out front yet? Or wait till all are laying most of the time. How much to charge if sell the eggs we have or at least start the selling process??
    We've got a ton of cartons, no labels yet nor even a name. I also wanted to set up a site or app so customers can see the chickens.
    What's your all opinions?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You'll have to decide who you want to sell to.
    If you sell to the public, there may be rules/regulations you have to follow in your area.
    Could include washing, labeling, refrigeration, and other things.

Some folks could sell more than they can supply to co-workers, neighbors, family, their church or other organization they may belong to.

I just sell to a few local friends and acquaintances at a price that matches up with what they pay at the grocery for 'cage free' eggs. Works good for me, covers the cost of feed and some other supplies, and they are understanding when supply might be low due to molting and other reasons.

Price you set needs to match up with your customers, local prices, and what your goals are.

1 person likes this.
  3. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    thank you. I won't be doing markets but I do want to end up posting eggs for sale on a couple of sites. I'm wanting to start with friends family & word of mouth plus couple neighbors have already been asking. Folks around that sell eggs are for 2.50 but I know I could sell for 3.5 or 4 & give little discounts.

4. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

5. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    I didn't think about that (the grocery store thought). Thank you. Oops forgot to ask...what do I when supply goes down?? Right now 3-4 a day so not selling yet but what do I do and say to customers? I know I'll take the sign down and post on site I make that'll be on cartons.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

7. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    I'm really just echoing aart.

I have 13 layers, 12 are giving eggs, medium to XL.

I'm getting about 8 eggs a day average, and by the time we eat them and family gets some, we only have a couple dozen to sell a week. Coworkers handle that. Wouldn't want a sign. I don't like people that much.

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Your birds all the same age?

9. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN

Mostly. Ten are this springs pullets. Three are a year older.

10. mamatink7

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    I like the way you think! We are private people too, plus live in middle of nowhere. Only have 4 a day for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by