selling your backyard eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Oakrosemama, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Oakrosemama

Oakrosemama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    Our girls are still too young for eggs, but we're already saving our egg cartons. Our family and friends live quite far away so we were thinking of selling our surplus. How do you sell yours?
    I have thought about a sign on our yard that says "yard eggs for sale", but does that really work? are people going to be knocking on the door for eggs? what have you experienced?
    I also am going to look into local farmers market and seeing if that might be a place to sell. I have also seen business cards left at places I frequent that advertise yard eggs for sale.
    I'm just wondering what the best way to go about it would be.

2. crankster76

crankster76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Kingston,Tn.
    word of mouth does wonders. I just let a few folks know what I had. put a sign in the yard and bingo. no problem selling them.just cant seem to get the girls to lay enough.

3. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    I had a decent sized flock and I kept my local horse club and my husband's work supplied with eggs and made enough money to pay for my girls' feed and improvements to the coop and run. I never even advertised. Then I had a predator get ahold of quite a few birds and it pretty much put me out of the egg business. I've missed all my colorful birds, so I got some more chicks and I'm waiting for them to start laying again. My husband told me the young guys at his work were just commenting how much they missed my eggs and being able to just come to work, toss a couple of bucks in the jar and have fresh eggs for breakfast every day. I'm looking forward to being able to keep them happy again! So, you might start out a little slow, but once you get 2 or 3 established customers that REALLLY like eggs you'll be doing just fine!

4. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Craig's List is a good place to advertise, as well as putting fliers up at area stores. If you put up a sign in your yard, you may have people knocking on your door at all hours, including when you are not home. I always sold most of my eggs through work and word of mouth.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I see signs in yards. I sell to neighbors.You can also give away here and there and get new customers once they get a taste of your product!

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC

Go ahead with the sign but have it read, "Fresh Eggs for Sale." Nothing more.
    Make it neat and well lettered, too - no spray painted cardboard. Look professional.

Start small and get a feel for this part of the business. If plan later to sell at markets or similar outlets, look into the laws in your state. In Georgia, for example, you have to take a class in candling and get a certificate before you can sell eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by