Selling your eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WindcrestChickens, Jul 23, 2008.

1. WindcrestChickens

WindcrestChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Does anyone want to offer any tips or info on selling eggs? I was wondering how to go about the actual purchases.....( I must sound like such a doofus..sorry [​IMG]) but do folks just knock on your door? Do you keep a separate fridge stocked? I have heard of people using coolers at the roadside and an honor system.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I sell to my co-workers so I don't advertise since most of the time I run out of eggs. Before I got chickens I used to go up to farm houses that had signs "Eggs" and just knock and they always had eggs. As for the honor system - guess it depends on where you live some places the people are honest and some are not - not to mention teenagers like to throw eggs at houses and such. Good luck!

3. hwerner

hwerner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Independence, KS
    We mainly sell to family and friends. Although each of these people tell their friends and so on and so on. If we have a few extra dozens each week, we normally take to a farmer's market and they are gone in literally minutes. Prolly helps that we sell our by size, ex. banty eggs 1.00 dz, regular eggs 1.50 doz, and jumbos 2.50 doz. Which is cheaper than the yucky store eggs to boot, and it pays for most of the feed. The cheaper than store pirce guarantees that we son't have eggs sitting around and going bad.

4. amysflock

amysflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Tenino, WA
    I sell to my co-workers, advertised originally via email to the office, and have some repeat customers as a result. We give free eggs to family and friends. Mine sell for $2/doz, but I wish I'd priced them higher as I drive them 55 miles to work to these city folks and didn't realize they were worth more to them. [​IMG]

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    We already have tons of customers and we don't even have hens yet! Our chickens are only 9 weeks old lol! I don't think it will take you long to build up customers at all. My egg lady does put a fridge on her porch and goes by the honor system and never had a problem so far.

6. ponderchick

ponderchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    east texas
    I am only getting 3-5 banty eggs a day and ususlly3 a day from my big girls ( they just started laying) and i have people asking me all the time when I will have eggs to sell. My first concern is for my family, they get eggs first., but once people find out you have hens, they will come looking for eggs.

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I've seen the cooler on the side of the road thing in my area, but i think it all depends on the area. I think you could have a sign to put by the driveway when you have extras to sell. Let them come to the door. I have people ask me all the time. As people find out you have them, you probably will have people ask for them.

8. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    My hens have just started laying (only 4 of them) and I've had people wanting eggs since I bought the darn things as day old chicks!!!! I'm not gonna have enough eggs to sell to everyone, so I'm just gonna put a sign up at the end of the driveway when I have extras and let ppl come to the door. Maybe, I have a dog that doesn't like strangers. I dunno! Whatever the case is, I know I don't have enough to keep a sign out indefinately. It'll have to be first come first serve, and if you see the sign either call or come to the house!

9. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    When i have some to sell, i list them on craigslist with my number. It seems to work great. And you can always erase the entry if you run out.

10. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    For the most part I give them away to the neighbors, and they return the favor by bringing us vegetables from their gardens, although one lady did bring me a 50 lb bag of feed one time.

The fellow I'm buying the poultry farm from in Wisconsin produces about 1100 dozen a week. He sets aside the under and oversized eggs in the egg cooler and leaves the door unlocked. The neighbors just help themselves to the extras in the egg cooler and leave a few bucks on the workbench.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by