Semi-auto toilet waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dirtybug, Jun 25, 2008.

1. dirtybug

dirtybug Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2008
    Chester Co. PA
    This Semi auto waterer could be used with household water supply(hose) or low pressure(barrel).
    You need:
    post hole digger
    old toilet
    5' 4"pvc
    toilet flange

Step one> dig a hole as deep as you can
    Step two>put pipe in hole with toilet flange on top
    Step three> install toilet and hook up your water supply

Now when you need to clean out the water bowl just flush! YOu can even rig it to have a constant trickle into the bowl for full auto, and still be able to flush away any mess.

Critics?

2. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    I need pics of this!!! [​IMG]

3. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    Please post pics...I like the sound of this.

4. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    Not to offend.....

1. You'd have to dig a deep hole for the waste water to go down (like a septic tank system) unless you run a waste line somewhere to re-use the water.
    2. You'd have to bury half the toilet or make a ramp for the birds to get up to it. Most toilets the top of the bowl is 15" off the ground and the handy cap toilets are 17" off the ground.
    3. The toilet will break in freezing conditions.
    4. Drowning hazard.
    5. Tipping hazard, toilets are easily tipped over that's why they're bolted to the floor.

There's better auto waterer's from hardware store stuff under 30$. I built mine for under $20.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=4655-Auto_Waterer

5. dirtybug

Jun 20, 2008
    Chester Co. PA
    I dont have pics but if you go into your bathroom and look at the toilet......
    I forgot Step4> teach roos to put the seat down when they're finished.

Honestly I havent done this yet since I dont have a coop....or chickens, But I gaurantee it will work. For better drainage in tougher soil you could drill holes in the pipe and suround it with gravel.
    OOh If you mad a platform for the toilet you wouldnt have to dig!! just put an elbow on the pipe and run it out of the coop.

6. FutureChickenMan

Oct 29, 2007
    and when the chickens slip on the pocelin, fall in, they drown. I guess you could leave the lid on it and drill a hole through the lid. But.... The problem is, the water line in the bowl is too low. You'd need a bird with a 10" long neck to get down to the water. You cannot fill the bowl up higher without blocking the poo-chute; the bowl will automatically siphon down to the proper level every time. Try it, take a gallon of water and pour it in to the toilet slowly. Watch the water level, it won't change much more than 1/2".

7. dirtybug

Jun 20, 2008
    Chester Co. PA
    Quote:

8. dirtybug

Jun 20, 2008
    Chester Co. PA
    Quote:I dont have a solution to this.[​IMG]

9. dirtybug

Jun 20, 2008
    Chester Co. PA
    Perhaps hardware cloth or some other type of "perch" in the bowl?

10. FutureChickenMan

Oct 29, 2007
    Quote:
    ... Not trying to shoot down your idea, but some stuff really has to be well thought out...

So, how about a variant on your idea..? Take the tank off of the bowl. Keep the pipe in the ground but use a smaller one that will fit inside the bottom of the tank where the water exits to fill the bowl. I think it's about 1 1/2". This would probably need to be glued in with silicone caulking. Then have that pipe dump in to the bigger pipe or route to a run off point for the garden. Put calking over the old bolt holes to seal them up. Connect your water line, bury the tank about half way, leave the lid off. Adjust the fill valve to fill water to the top of the tank. Cover the tank top with chicken wire. Tada~!

[​IMG]

This way:
    1 they're not drinking from the poo part of the toilet.
    2 drowning hazard removed (chicken wire)
    3 tipping hazard removed
    4 won't have to dig as deep of a hole
    5 no ramp needed

freezing is still an issue; but if the water line is buried below the freeze line & you put a submersible fish tank heater in there that would probably keep it from freezing. be sure to make certain that no "in the tank" toilet clensers have been used in the tank.. most in the tank clensers have really harsh chemicals in them and could be deadly to the birds.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by