Semi-Emergency, please advise! Taped egg hatching!

machinfarm

Chirping
Apr 27, 2015
Weatherford, TX
I have a hatch going on right now, so far ten chicks and 9 pipped eggs out of twenty set, woohoo!
BUT I have one egg that I discovered had a hairline crack when I candled on day 7. I put a piece of clear scotch tape over the crack to seal it and it developed fine. It has now pipped, directly opposite of the piece of tape. Which means when it starts to zip it will only make it halfway before running into the tape.
Should I risk opening the incubator to pull the tape off now, with eight other pipped eggs I'm afraid of shrink wrapping anybody. Should I wait until it's actually zipping, or maybe the tape isn't that much of a big deal?
In the future I will seal cracked eggs with wax, as I've read that's the better option. But for this particular egg, what should I do?

When I've sealed with tape (only twice) they zipped right under it and it came off when they popped the top. I'd definitely keep an eye on it just in case, but at this point, I'd just let it ride. If you find its struggling, you could always help it after it zips (and hopefully your other eggs will be done by then so opening the 'bator wont really matter).
If your humidity isn't low, you could probably open it real quick and remove it though. I open mine to remove chicks in batches as they hatch, without issue :)

When I've sealed with tape (only twice) they zipped right under it and it came off when they popped the top. I'd definitely keep an eye on it just in case, but at this point, I'd just let it ride. If you find its struggling, you could always help it after it zips (and hopefully your other eggs will be done by then so opening the 'bator wont really matter).
If your humidity isn't low, you could probably open it real quick and remove it though. I open mine to remove chicks in batches as they hatch, without issue :)

Awesome, thank you so much! I was hoping someone would say exactly that!
My humidity is 75% according to my hygrometer but I don't trust it, it has lied to me before (new ones in the mail already!). It has to be decently humid though, there's condensation on the glass. So if worse comes to worst I'll open it and save him. Thank you again.

With condensation showing your humidity is probably pretty near the 75% mark. You could open it and remove the tape if needed and I don't think it will affect the other eggs. I too open my bator during lock down and remove chicks as they hatch. I have never had an issue with shrink-wrapping. Good luck!

Thank you both for your input! I ended up opening the bator to take out the dry chicks because with so many, they were laying on top of the zipping eggs, and while I had it open I pulled the tape off. The cracked egg hatched second to last, and we ended up with a 100% hatch rate, 20 new chicks! Woo hoo!
Thanks for easing my mind!

Back
Top Bottom