semi free ranging

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by poultrygeist, Oct 15, 2009.

1. poultrygeist

poultrygeist Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Hunterdon Cty. NJ
    There is a 14' X 5' run below our coop that opens up into a 15' x16' fenced in aviary that used to have some grass in it. My 6-- 8 week old chicks have eaten almost every blade of it. Does anyone have any idea what renewable ground or crop cover that can be planted in the fall?

2. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

i don't really have a suggestion of what to pick, but be careful when you are buying because LOTS of grass seeds have chemical fertilizers built in. i would bet those are not so good for your chickens (they aren't very good for the water table, that's for sure).

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You would have to keep them out of there til the new growth is up and going, as they will eat all the seed, or pull up and eat any new plants that escape. I'd probably plant annual rye or clover, but I don't think it matters. Some longer term grass seed at the same time might work well.

4. Ryan81986

Ryan81986 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Scotts grass seed will come up in about a week, just get the shady mixture, it only needs about 3 hours of sunlight a week. I'm not sure if it has any extra fertilizer in it or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by