**Semi graphic pictures** chicken leg exploded

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by livercelluar123, Mar 7, 2013.

1. livercelluar123

livercelluar123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2013
    I went out to the coop and my americuana chickens leg looked like it expolded it was gushing blood everywhere an it's toes were stiff and shriveld up it was kinda gross [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It could be caused by gout or possibly mycoplasma synoviae (MS.)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  3. livercelluar123

Jan 14, 2013
    What is that? ^

4. livercelluar123

Jan 14, 2013
    Well we found out whats wrong I separated her last night and well today I woke up to a one legged chicken what do I do now?

5. GreenGables

GreenGables Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    MA
    Good Morning. I feel so sad for you. How old is this chicken? Did you look up what the probable cause of her symptom? Is she still acting normal and able to get around on one leg? I would probably have the chicken processed if there is no disease. This way, the chicken will have not been wasted. It's a tough decision, I know, because you do get attached to these beautiful birds. Thinking of you.[​IMG]

6. livercelluar123

Jan 14, 2013

7. livercelluar123

Jan 14, 2013
    Actually it all started about a month ago I found her and her feet were frozen solid so sent her down to my friends house cuz her moms like the chicken expert and she go nursed back to health and she is gettin around fine if anybody has any 4-h experience here do you know if I can show a one legged bird she was my show bird and she is still healthy otherwise she's eating and drinking fine slowly but she usually acts like a lady around food anyways so I'm not concerned no I did not look up anything should I wrap her leg with some gauze until I can go out and get Vet rap?

8. livercelluar123

Jan 14, 2013
    And she has a history of getting sick so processing isn't an option

9. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    id wrap with vet wrap. she will learn to get around on the one leg and she can lead a fairly normal life! you might want to start a antibiotic like penicillin to prevent farther infection. keep a antibotic sauve under the vet wrap while you wrap. this is what id do cause i wouldn't want a secondary infection from this. best of luck to you! with some TLC hopefully she will be just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by