Semi-Newbie from Northern Vermont

amanda802

In the Brooder
May 4, 2015
Hi all! I've been creeping around on BYC for a while now. I found the chicken coop that my wonderful husband will be building this weekend among your vast collection of amazing builds.

Years ago I had some bantams, mostly for entertainment. They drove me crazy with their antics but we enjoyed them anyway, and in spite of the fact that they reproduced like crazy. When we moved, we didn't bring them along. The person who bought our house was happy to have them.

Fast forward a few years, and here I am. We do what we can to grow our own food as much as possible. We have a large garden, I preserve quite a bit each year, we will be getting our piglets in a few weeks for our pork supply. We thought having some hens would be a great place to go next, as we eat quite a few eggs and do not enjoy store-bought eggs. Plus, we thought the chickens might help us keep pests under control around the garden. Now I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of chickens. Their poop and flower-bed digging drives me nuts. So with this in mind, I decided that if we're getting chickens, they're darn well going to be cool-looking ones. So what did I do? I went on ebay and bought some Blue Laced Red Wyandotte eggs. They came in the mail today and I'll be putting them in the incubator tomorrow. Perhaps not the best way to start out :)

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to say hi and warn you that I'll probably be asking a lot of strange questions.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

What a lovely intro! Not long at all. Lots of cool looking breeds out there. Wynadottes sure are pretty and do come in many colors.

We don't mind lots of questions! We all had them when we first got started with things. So feel free to ask around the forums.

Good luck with your hatch and make yourself at home here on BYC!

If you confine them to a large run, they won't be destroying your flower beds or pooping all over but, it still needs to be picked up. Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

If you confine them to a large run, they won't be destroying your flower beds or pooping all over but, it still needs to be picked up. Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

They'll have a small confined run, and I'm hoping that since our yard is now a lot bigger than the last house that they won't hang out so close to the house :)

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Good luck with your hatch I hope you have a great one. I too have the same problem with digging and scratching about. I only let mine out to free range when I can supervise them as they are polish and can't see well and get easily lost. I follow them round and guide them to the bits of garden I do want weeding and keep them away from the good stuff. Have you incubated before? I love incubating it's lots of fun and very rewarding when they hatch. Here is a great article on incubating https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

They'll have a small confined run, and I'm hoping that since our yard is now a lot bigger than the last house that they won't hang out so close to the house :)

welcome to BYC from a fellow Vermonter.
frow.gif

Good luck with your hatch, beautiful breed you chose.

My chicks wander all through our yard, including coming up onto porch to say hello, lol They have no boundaries
roll.png

Oh and this year I have to border off my Hosta plants somehow, they demolished those instantly.
hmm.png

Welcome I am also from Vermont and just started my flock last week. Ordered 6 from our farm supply and ended up getting 2 more 2 days later! I also chose a Wyandotte..a Golden Laced.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hatch.

Back
Top Bottom