Semi-off topic -- "Night Guard" for deer control?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Denninmi, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I saw the various posts about these blinking lights in the night. Just wondered if anyone has any experience with them in terms of keeping deer away. I have been having major deer problems in the garden the past couple of years, eating everything. Unfortunately, they are very UNAFRAID and come out in the daytime as well as at night. I've been able to walk as close as 6-8 feet, screaming, and have them just stare at me and continue to eat my plants.

But, anything that might help would be great. Just don't want to waste money on something that doesn't work.

TIA.

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Do you live near me?.. cause your deer sound like ours!

They say the lights will work for deer.. but you have to move them frequently..
    I don't know for sure.. I have my lights set up at the right height for raccoons and foxes.. so they are way too low for the deer.
    On the average night we have 3 to 4 deer in our yard
    the first night I set up the lights we had 8.. snorting and sniffing at the lights.. like it was some kind of party getting ready to start.. the next night it was back to 4.. so I suppose their curiosity was satiated

Now keep in mind that they were set too low for deer.. so I'm not sure if they would be impressed with them set at the correct height or not. But even on Nite Guard's website they say that deer do get used to the lights after a while.. so you do have to move them around frequently

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  3. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Venison stew, deer burgers, deer steaks, leg of Bambi..

Just kidding, Though deer can be tasty most people wouldn't want to go that method out of season. They have deer repellent for gardens and there is always deer net that you can put up, its either six or seven feet high though I don't remember what my package said exactly and it looks like bird netting. Very light weight and you can use zip ties to attatch it to posts or trees or anything else you can fit the ties around.

4. Loco Chikin Rancher

Loco Chikin Rancher Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2009
    The Dry Side of Orygun
    I would suggest keeping a dog nearby, but ours just lies on the porch and watches them. He knows they're too fast, so he doesn't even bother chasing them anymore. Sheesh!

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I have found deer IN our dog pen.. standing there staring at the dogs.. i swear either our deer are stupid or are just not fazed by anything...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by