Semi-portable coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DraigAthar, Nov 22, 2011.

1. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    I couldn't help myself, your honor! They talked fancy to me! I HAD to buy three more chickens, i had no choice! Okay, so I'm addicted. They are pretty little 7-week old Dominiques from Othala Acres:

[​IMG]

Well, I can't just stick them in with the rest of the flock. They need to be quarantined, and they're too little to mix with the adult hens anyway. They're living in a corner of the garden shed at the moment, but it's not a long-term solution. So the hubby got right to work on a new mini-coop to get them through the winter. Wanna see? It's still a work in progress, but hopefully he'll have it to the point where I can start painting it soon. And later on I think it might make a good breeding pen or broody coop!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amy

2. Hodawg

Hodawg Chillin' With My Peeps

SWEEET looking mini-coup, DA! Your husband is doing a great job, and good luck with the new peepers!

Beers y'all,
    Ken

3. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    So CUTE! And the chicks are pretty adorable too.
    Can't wait to see picts of it finished.

4. redhotchick

redhotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Im not into the whole chicken tractor thing,but yours made me think. Great craftsmanship! The wire screen at the top for air-flow.Well thought out & just cool!!!!! your chickens are gonna be like [​IMG] & [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  5. mshuey1

mshuey1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    San Antonio
    I love it:D

6. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    The coop is looking GREAT!!!! How wonderful to have a husband who is so handy, and does such great work!!! You are a lucky gal!

7. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    I really like this design! I might have to use this idea for when I build 2nd coop next spring! Can't wait to see it finished!

8. DraigAthar

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Thanks everyone for all the nice comments, I showed them to the hubby, he is very pleased. [​IMG]

Quote:Yeah, I'm not a big chicken tractor fan either, and I think this may end up being too big to really be considered a chicken tractor simply because it's too darn heavy to move easily. It's on skids for simplicity and so that it can technically be moved, but it's 5 1/2 feet wide and built pretty solid (Brian jokes that he ALWAYS overbuilds things, heh). It's not even done and it's already too heavy to lift. Then plan is for us to be able to hook it up to the truck and tow it around a little bit, but not for any great distance and we certainly won't be moving it every day. We're a big fan of portable electric fencing, so probably in the spring when the weather gets nice again we'll get an extra length of it and set a pen up around this mini coop so the chookas can get out in the grass to scratch around daily, just like our other chickens have. We'll see how it works out!

Amy

9. DraigAthar

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    It's finished! And in place out in the yard, near the main coop. Yay! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amy

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That is really nice! Lucky you. Cute chicks, too. I can see why you were so tempted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by