Semi-scalped 2-month old chick - pics and progress

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sumi, Jun 12, 2016.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've seen a few cases of chicks and older chickens suffering head injuries, like getting scalped by predators or others, so I decided to start this thread for informational purposes. This type of injury unfortunately occurred in my flocks for the second time yesterday evening. The first case was a young pullet I had years ago in South Africa, that escaped a mongoose attack, minus most of the skin on her head. She made a full recovery. I didn't take pics at the time. Yesterday's was the result of two little game roosters growing up and doing what game roosters do, a bit earlier than I expected… The smaller one of the two had a fair size piece of skin missing from the back of his head by the time I intervened and a bigger piece loose, but still attached, so I left it in place.

The only topical antibiotic I have on hand is Savlon wound spray, which I read after a quick search online, is safe for use on poultry, so I treated him with that. We removed the troublemaker and put the injured chick back with the other two chicks in the clutch (both pullets) and their mom. Thankfully they were not interested in the wound and did not peck at it.

I didn't take a pic yesterday, but snapped one quick this morning:

[​IMG]

The wound closed up well overnight and the youngster is happy, eating and running around and begging for mealworms. I'll update again as and when he makes progress.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Thanks Sumi.
    This will be very helpful.

Following.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    The youngster is looking AMAZING! The wound closed mostly and is not as noticeable any more:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by