semi wild backyard chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DesireeMarie, Jul 6, 2010.

1. DesireeMarie

DesireeMarie New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    Hi, everyone. It is such a pleasure to be a part of this group, and I am looking forward to meeting all of you. I am also looking forward to getting advice and learning.

I will make this short. I live in New Orleans, we've got a fairly big yard. A mother chicken (somehow) escaped from a home a few doors down and (again somehow) raised her six chicks in our cat overrun yard. All but one chick survived; the mother disappeared-now we have three hens and two roosters living in our yard. I wouldn't call them tame exactly, but they run to me when I call them, and they even wait near the door for me in the morning. They have no coop, they roost in a nearby tree (REALLY high up, too-impressive), and I've been feeding them table scraps, though they seem to love insects the best. This arrangement suits all of us, but I am starting to worry about how to feed them, give them shelter, etc. during winter.

They look like a breed called-I think-Sicilian Buttercups, though I read that this breed was quite rare, so they are probably not; I just say that in order to describe them. The roosters are beautiful, but I find the hens very pretty, if less showy, too.

Any and all advice appreciated. I've got thick skin-please don't worry about offending me; if I am doing something that seems stupid to you, point it out.

Thank you for reading this,

Desiree

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from an imp in Washington

They sound beautiful. We will need pix.

Imp

3. DesireeMarie

DesireeMarie New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    I would love to send pictures! Unfortunately they, like vampires, seem to disappear from film. I tried to send a-what I thought was-lovely photo of the five of them resting under a lime tree via cell phone, and it looked like a lime tree with maybe a smudge underneath it. Mysterious! Or, more probable, I'm a terrible photographer. But sure, I'll try. They are lovely, really, The roosters have these gorgeous, delicate green/blue colors in their tail feathers that are amazing. Thank you for your response. Could you tell me something about your chickens?

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi DesireeMarie, and welcome! My DH was born & raised just south of New Orleans in a little bayou town called Lafitte. [​IMG]

5. DesireeMarie

DesireeMarie New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    Oh, there is a great seafood place that we used to go to a lot in Lafitte, and I'd make a pig of myself (and a mess, too) eating boiled crabs.

Is your DH cajun?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by