Semi-wild chicken.. pics included

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TheRookie, Apr 11, 2012.

1. TheRookie

TheRookie Chillin' With My Peeps

My neighbors left behind several chickens to fend for themselves. Only 5 remain. 4 black and one odd whitish one... what do you think she is? They are all female, rooster was killed by a coyote. Sorry for the blurry pics, the neighbors weren't the most friendly so the chickens are scared of people.

[​IMG]
    This is all of them. The one on the far right is named Toast after the Brave Little Toaster. She will come within 10 feet of me if I throw feed to her.. whereas all the others will run if I come within 50 feet.

[​IMG]
    She has a cream colored body and a reddish-gold head and black on her tail. She may very well be a mutt but I'd love to know if anyone knows what she may be. (the neighbors original roo was a Welsummer if that helps)

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    looks like a wheaten game hen of some kind

3. texas75563

texas75563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas
    A couple wheaten game hens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. TheRookie

TheRookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh that second one does look a lot like her. Thanks to both of you for your help :)

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's a game hen, and odds are she'll be the lone survivor of that group. They're great at living on their own, and also great mothers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by