Semi-wild muscovy duck questions

Pics

SolarDuck

Free Ranging
Jan 31, 2020
Hello, on christmas day while visiting a local park I found some ducklings that were abandoned and almost eaten by seagulls. I saw their mom fly away from them she was a muscovy. After watching over the ducks for several hours without her coming back for them I decided to take them home and raise them. At the moment they are a little bit more than a month old as they were no more than 3 days old on christmas they were very tiny. My question is, when is it okay to bring them back to the park and let them go. This is an entirely fenced in park with a large pond with lots of ducks and many many people coming in every day to feed them. I could not find any answers on the internet related to my specific situation so I came here for help. I live in Florida so weather is not a problem right now they are outside in a very very large dog crate meant for a great Dane and they seem to be about 1/3-1/2 the size of the full grown muscovies. What age/size is a good one to release them??

2 are male and 3 are female I believe

Attachments

• Snapchat-942844684.jpg
    Snapchat-942844684.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 95
So I've brought them to the park today, we have been here for a few hours and they have not yet went into the pond for a swim, and some of the wild muscovy drakes are well. Being muscovy drakes and picking on them a bit

Attachments

• 20200216_135412.jpg
    20200216_135412.jpg
    963.6 KB · Views: 57
Hello, on christmas day while visiting a local park I found some ducklings that were abandoned and almost eaten by seagulls. I saw their mom fly away from them she was a muscovy. After watching over the ducks for several hours without her coming back for them I decided to take them home and raise them. At the moment they are a little bit more than a month old as they were no more than 3 days old on christmas they were very tiny. My question is, when is it okay to bring them back to the park and let them go. This is an entirely fenced in park with a large pond with lots of ducks and many many people coming in every day to feed them. I could not find any answers on the internet related to my specific situation so I came here for help. I live in Florida so weather is not a problem right now they are outside in a very very large dog crate meant for a great Dane and they seem to be about 1/3-1/2 the size of the full grown muscovies. What age/size is a good one to release them??

2 are male and 3 are female I believe

None. You're in Florida. It's illegal to release them back into the wild - which includes that park: https://southerntrappersflorida.com/Muscovy_Ducks_2.html

You should do your own research, but the way I'm reading it, once you took the ducklings home, they're yours at that point and you're not allowed to release them again.

They are young and interlopers so of course they are going be be picked on even try to run them off. I hope they will be okay on their own. I’d be very worried that they haven’t gotten into the water since that’s their only protection.

Back
Top Bottom