Send chickens to people who really need them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SquirrelGirl, Dec 2, 2009.

1. SquirrelGirl

SquirrelGirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Hi guys! Does anyone know how to send chickens overseas to starving people? I would like to donate baby chicks to them every month when I hatch! Is there any laws from preventing me from doing this? I do not want to go through a charity orginization where I pay $25... I just want to send them my own chicks.

Any ideas how I would go about doing this.. or finding who to send them to? Chickens are a great source of food!

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Even if it were allowed (which I doubt), the chicks would probably arrive pretty unhealthy. I don't think it would work out.

3. SquirrelGirl

Oct 9, 2009
    Ya.. that is true. Unless I could find a really good way to package them with food and everything.

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:There are a few orginizations that do this .. I think its like 30 dollars for a starter flock .. I'll try to find the info

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:The biggets issue would be food and temp..Issues

6. Stippett

Stippett Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2009
    Bahama, NC
  7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    First you need to research the US exportation laws concerning live poultry. Then you need to research the import laws of the country you're wanting to send them to. It's not an easy process and can cost you hundreds of dollars.

You can't ship baby chicks overseas anyhow, they would have to be mature adults.

8. sandiegochick

sandiegochick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
    Washington
    there is also an organization called heifer international, which i have heard many good things about.

great idea! best of luck to you with this!

9. SquirrelGirl

Oct 9, 2009
    Thanks guys for the info! I really appreciate it! Now I am thinking maybe I could up my egg prices a dollar and donate that dollar everytime I make a sell. That way no chickens have to go through a tough time [​IMG]

a dollar does not sound like a lot but I think any bit counts right? I just hope the charity organizations put it to good use [​IMG]

Or maybe I should just offer for people to pay an extra buck for charity. I dunno.. just brainstorming here [​IMG]

10. Joyryder

Joyryder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Scandia, PA
    Quote:The chicks have to go through quarantine in a lot of countries. But I bet there are hungry people in your own neighborhood. Why don't you talk to someone at a local food pantry or church. Of course they have to be able to feed and shelter them. You could raise them and donate eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by