sending chicks to the coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pet pal, May 13, 2011.

1. pet pal

pet pal Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    when is it ok to send the baby chicks outside to there new home? I am in ct night time can get a little chilly.

2. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    They should be fully feathered before they go out. I am new at this so I am sure there is more to it than just that. Temps should be fairly warm as well. If not, you will have to put the lamp out there with them. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. pet pal

May 5, 2011
    thank you for the repley:)

4. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    How old are they and what are the temps?

Nate

5. pet pal

May 5, 2011
    They are 18 days old today, getting big fast! 4 red pullets and 4 black australorps Temp range high 40's to low 50's at night high 50's to mid 70's during the day

6. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    We put ours out at around 4 weeks and they were fully feathered. I have one that is almost feathered out and she only goes in the coop during the daytime.. still to cold for her at night even with the heat lamp

7. pet pal

May 5, 2011
    Thanks, I think in another week or so they should be ready:)

8. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    Hey Pet Pal! I'm in CT, also, but you must be in a warm spot because it still has been getting down into the upper 30's where I'm at.

I have 5 week olds that are not fully feathered so they are not out yet. I take them outside to play for a couple hours at the warmest point of the day but other than that, they are in my house. I won't feel comfortable putting them out for good until its a bit warmer.

I'm hoping to have them moved out into the coop without a lamp by mid June!

9. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks are 9 days old. I put them out in a tractor with their broody mom for an hour or so. They have a blast and then go back to the brooder cage. Sometimes they are even cooperative.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by