Sending eggs via USPS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bygalos, Jan 13, 2015.

1. bygalos

bygalos Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2014
    Today I received fertile eggs via USPS from someone I found online through one of the forums I belong to regarding rare chickens breeds or fertile chicken eggs, etc. I'm not exactly sure which website I found this person through, but regardless this person was selling fertile chicken eggs so I bought two dozen from her. I've debated with myself on whether I would post something but after weighting the pros and cons, I decided that I should as it may help another fellow chicken fancier, breeder, hobbyist, etc.

I have seen so much good information from many people who have shipped eggs, I have seen photos of how people ship eggs and believed that someone who ships eggs frequently would make sure to insure the eggs would not be damaged with careful packaging. I would like to state up front that I am in no way mad or upset about the conditions that the eggs I purchased were received in. I had confidence that they would be shipped in my opinion, "properly", but to my dismay 6 of the 24 eggs were either smashed or had hairline cracks in the shell. It is not to my advantage, or anyone else's to describe my interaction with the shipper/breeder after I received the eggs, nor is it a concern for anyone else...that is not the intent of this post.

What I wan't people to know, witness and to understand, is to take a little extra precaution and care when shipping fragile eggs that are going to produce our fellow chicken enthusiast our beloved chicks. As you will see with the photos I am attaching, each egg was carefully wrapped in bubble wrap and taped precisely, but when they were placed in the USPS 2 day air box, there was only one small film of bubble wrap that was placed only on one side of the box. This allowed room for the eggs to be jostled and tossed around, hitting one another and the sides of the box, ultimately crushing several eggs. My concern now is that whether the remainder of the eggs will even be viable for hatching. I guess only time will tell, specifically 21 days after I begin incubation which will be placed in my incubator in two days.

Again, I am not upset or angry about the situation just a little disappointed and heartbroken that I now have 6 fewer chances of a successful hatch as this is a breed that has a high in shell mortality rate upon incubation. I truly
    only want you to witness my experience, to learn from it and take a little extra precaution when shipping eggs. I was very excited about receiving these eggs as this is a new breed of chicken for me. I only hope that I will have a few little bundles of joy in a little over 3 weeks.

Thanks for listening and happy chickening. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I think if they used egg cartons it would be better. Go to your grocery store and see that the eggs are not broken. They come delivered by semi trucks traveling on rough roads. I know that EBAY will only sell eggs and no live chickens. Also read that certain batches of eggs turned out to be ether not fertile or faulty in other ways. Example....... order 12 and only 2 hatch. These are realities of online markets. I hope that you have a successful hatching with what is left. WISHING YOU THE BEST

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

That was poor packing! The eggs were not even properly wrapped in the bubble wrap. Did you candle the eggs before you put them in the incubator?

4. bygalos

Dec 22, 2014
    I'm letting them sit for a day before I try and candle. As you know, green eggs are hard to candle. I'm being positive!!!

Thanks. :)

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Hopefully the ones you have left will do okay :fl
    I have to say, that was a pretty terrible packing job :/ I've only shipped eggs once, but I wrapped each egg in bubble wrap and a piece of paper towel and made sure they fit snuggly in their egg carton. Then the egg carton was surrounded with bubble wrap and newspaper on all sides, I stuffed it in there until the carton was packed tightly. The eggs arrived at their destination intact, though with some detached air cells.

If I may ask, what breed are you trying to hatch? I'm trying to think of breeds that lay green eggs and have a high in shell mortality rate, and I got nothing :oops:

Good luck to you, happy hatching!

6. Happy Dad

Happy Dad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2012
    Eastern Nebraska
    O my! I can't not beleive that somebody actually mailed those thinking they would be ok.

I'm hoping it's just ignorance, not stupidity and that they learn from this.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

There are several threads on this site with very detailed instructions on how to wrap eggs. I wonder if the seller is a member of this site??

8. bygalos

Dec 22, 2014
    I'm thinking that it was ignorance and nothing else, but to be informed and to learn from others experience will benefit us all.

9. bygalos

Dec 22, 2014
    Yes, I'm hoping that the remaining eggs air cell's are still intact. The eggs that were shipped to me are supposed to be Araucana, I'm looking to add the rumpless, tufted chickens to my small flock.

10. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Ah, I didn't even think about Araucanas, but given the tufted gene is lethal if they get 2 copies, duh.
    Are the eggs green or blue? They look green and I'm pretty sure Araucana only lay blue, but it could just be the pics.
    The EEs I had shipped to me all had detached air cells, but they all stabilized. Some were saddle shaped, and even they ended up fixing themselves, hopefully yours do the same!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by