1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sending greetings from new member in Costa Rica

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Costa Rica Art, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Costa Rica Art

Costa Rica Art Chillin' With My Peeps

I am sort of new to raising and having chickens. Why sort of new, the last time I had anything to do with chickens was when I was a youngster. We then raised something like 50 chicks at a time, some for eggs and some for the table. At this time we have no chickens as I am in the process of building our chicken coop. I have a friend that will help me getting Barred Plymouth Rocks chicks to raise for eggs and for the table along with a Silkie hen for a brooder. I learned about this site from articles on my MotherEarthNews CDs while researching information on chickens, chicken coops and chicken tractors. Here in Costa Rica there aren't many chicken breeds to choose from but I was lucky to find a person who is able to help me get good well bred Rocks. We live at 3,000 feet near the cloud forest so excessive heat won't be a problem. We do get a lot of rain so my coop is designed with that in mind. Not only are the chickens for food but also a hobby for me, I plan to keep track of my stock to improve my chickens for our micro area. The coop will have a dirt floor with deep litter for the chickens to scratch in on those rainy days when they remain inside. I am a retired mechanical engineer and neon glass blower/shop owner. My wife, Caroline is a retired Special Education school teacher. We had bought a small vacation home in Costa Rica then the housing prices fell in California. The vacation home turned into our retirement home. We live in a small village called "Los Angeles Sur" or "Los Angles South", I have fun with that when I tell people that we live in South LA, you go down town turn left for 3,000 miles and you're there. Anyway here we are. We both are crafts persons too, she does beading, sewing, silver jewelery while I do stained glass, enameling, wood crafts, raising chickens and both of us love gardening. We have 4 cats, a canary, 2 parakeets and a dog. We have 2 sons in California and a daughter in Florida with 2 grand daughters. I was born in Decatur Illinois, now 68, Caroline born in Delano California, now 60. We've been married 15 years.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington

Great Intro, Glad you joined

Imp

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. Glad you joined us here. It sounds like you have a well though out plan. Also, we love to see pics. [​IMG]

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Hello from Florida!
    [​IMG]
    We have friends who keep threatening to sell everything and retire to Costa Rica.
    It really sounds nice.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

How nice is that!! Sounds so beautiful where you live. [​IMG] [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! I think its great you love doing crafts, neat!! [​IMG]

6. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG] from Alaska

Thanks for joining us.

7. save the favs

save the favs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Hello & welcome from Oregon, USA. I get Mother Earth News also, it's always interesting. What is the native chicken there in Costa Rica? Best wishes for you & your new chickens to come.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!

You are living the dream.

There is a couple from Ecuador doing the same thing on here.

If I had stopped a three kids, I would be moving to Ecuador in a couple of years.

Alas, I live here until I drop dead.

9. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

... and Happy New Year!

10. Beamer's human

Beamer's human Out Of The Brooder

Wow! This is great...another chicken fan in Costa Rica. I have a dozen...probably more since I had two setting hens when I left for vacation here in Florida a few weeks ago. I miss my chickens and rooster and of course, my dog, Beamer. My best egg layers appear to be Black Stars. The setting hens include some neckid neck ones....One orange colored, neckid neck, blue egg layer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by