Sending hen on a "date" with a roo.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by huck, Oct 19, 2009.

1. huck

huck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2009
    Maryland
    I am part of the Urban Chicken Underground and live in an area where it is illegal to keep roos. But I'd like some babies next spring/summer.

The thought crossed my mind that I could potentially send my chosen hen on a date with a special roo.

Has anyone else done this?

I'd probably find a willing friend outside of the city, or perhaps someone through the forum who would be willing to barter. (anyone out there interested? I live in DC/Maryland)

I know there'd be a lot to keep in mind... as there always is when mixing birds of different flocks.

It's just an idea.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
    Huck

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Huck, it's an interesting idea. But you open your hen up to contact with diseases that may not be apparent in the roo's flock. They may be carriers that don't show illness, and your hen may not be immune to them.

Good luck.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    It is a fun idea but unless the hen is broody, she won't sit on the eggs and you'll have to incubate them yourself. So it might end up being easier to just buy some fertile eggs from the same out of the city friend and incubate those. Or, if your hen does go broody, buy some fertilized eggs and put them under her.

4. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Have you considered buying fertilized eggs and hatching them? Are you planning to have momma raise them or incubate them? How can you guarantee that momma will go broody after her "date"? I guess I am a little confused about your quest. [​IMG]

5. huck

huck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2009
    Maryland
    You're right... buying eggies to put under her when she's broody seems like the best way to go.

Thanks.

6. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Good luck to you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by