Sending mean hens away to camp?

92Pony

Songster
13 Years
Mar 1, 2010
South Carolina
Not talking about freezer camp here though.
big_smile.png

I have been having a little trouble with a buff orpington being picked-on by her 4 flockmates. Through some careful observation over the weekend, I believe there are two rocks who are the main culprits in the pecking/picking.

I took in a new flock of 4 over the weekend, and those same rocks attacked everyone in the new flock - even the biggest BO of that group (who looked to be a big meanie herself until she met my bully rocks - LOL). My rocks, at times, act like a roaming gang(of 2 - lol), just looking for a fight, and attacking whomever crosses their path.

Bottom line is I have to get these two girls out of their bullying ways. Right now they're separated during the day by a piece of fence dividing the run. My Mom has a flock of about 8 or so (Black Jersies and NH Reds). Would it help at all to send my troublemakers over into her flock for a day or so? Would that knock them down a notch or two? Or just make them more mean?

Wade

Quote:
No...just behavior modification camp! That sounds like a great plan to me. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and please keep us posted.

Some people put aggressors in "solitary confinement" for a time period to shuffle the pecking order around. I would say if you have the opportunity to "send them to grandmas" then that would work too. Best wishes!
smile.png

Been a little while I know, but I finally remembered to get back to this post;

I ended up taking the lead instigator over to my Mom's for a couple of days. Her chickens were scared to death of her! LOL Mom's run is about 15' x 20' or so. It was funny to see her 8 huddled in a corner of the run as far from my one as possible........in their OWN yard!
lau.gif
That lasted for two days. I brought her back home and she went right back to her bullying ways. Doesn't look like there's any reforming her.

I did finish up a second coop/run and I've segregated her and a couple others who were the most unruly. Things are somewhat better overall, but she's DEFINITELY the boss in her run. I may end up rehoming her before too long. Just wanted to update (even though it wasn't about success).

Back
Top Bottom