Senior Medication Assistance?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by quiltnchik, Sep 4, 2009.

1. quiltnchik

quiltnchik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Virginia
    My mother, who just turned 81 this past Wednesday, lives with my younger brother. My brother lost his job a few months ago and has been unable to find anything else. My mom just informed me that, not only do they not have money for much food, but she is going to be unable to purchase her medications this month. Does anyone know of an organization that assists seniors in getting their medications when they can't afford them? Her medicines are vital and I'm so worried about her not being able to get them. Unfortunately, we're in no position to help either... [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    I am not sure what goes in your state, but if you could contact someone that works in social services, maybe at AFS, or through a hospital, they would have an extensive list of community resources in your area

3. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Depending on what meds she on, you can always call her physicians and ask for samples. Most physicians are very understanding about it and Med reps keep the physicians well stocked in most meds. You could also call the manufacturer such as astrzeneca, they have a plan to help seniors to be able to afford their meds.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Check this out:

http://www.pparx.org/

For this month's prescriptions I would suggest contacting your mom's doctor(s) and see if they have any samples available or can get her a month's supply thru the drug reps.

5. quiltnchik

May 19, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:Thanks! I'm going to call her doctor's office Tuesday to see if they can help with samples (Mom's a bit too "proud" to call).

6. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    My mom is 81 and we have to worry about how she gets her meds too. You can apply for Medicaid for her, get samples from the doctors, or you can contact the company that makes the meds she's on. More times than not you can fill out some paperwork and once approved she can get very low cost or no cost meds. You might also try going through the city or state she lives in. Most of them have organizations for senior assistance like Council on Aging, etc.
    Good luck! It's such a shame that the seniors in our country aren't taken care of the way they should be. They should never have to worry about medical care, medications etc.

7. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    One other thing, there is an organization called Angel Food Ministries. They have various churches that participate throughout the country. They offer boxes of food for a reasonable price. They have a different menu and options each month. It's not only for those who 'need' it but anyone who wants a nice selection of food at a nice price. I think they even have a senior menu. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2009
  8. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Check www.needymeds.com. But in the immediate, speak with her doctor who wrote the Rx. S/he can probably give her samples. If you have a local Office on Aging or Senior Center talk to them.

Good luck.It is sadly a common problem. I work with seniors and in this land of such wealth every day older folks have to make the choice your mom is..food or meds. And this winter, food meds or heat.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    What about the $4 meds at Walmart? Have you checked to see if any of her meds are on that list? Good luck! [​IMG]

10. quiltnchik

May 19, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:She gets her meds at Walmart and, even though a lot of them are only $4, some of the others aren't, and with the number of meds she takes, it still adds up to more $$ than she has [​IMG] One of her meds, Vytorin, recently went up from $35.00/mo to $95.00/mo WITH Medicare! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by