We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Sensing predators

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spiritliz, Jul 16, 2019.

1. spiritliz

spiritliz Chirping

Jan 12, 2013
    I have a flock of 18 chickens about 3 1/2 months old right now. Every morning I go back an open the coop up and they run out of the coop like water being poured from a glass! (I always give them a plate of fresh veggies) Well, twice now, (2 weeks apart) when I open the door they stop short of exiting and just stand there as if afraid to exit.
    They seem scared and make little almost peeping noises. Finally if I walk back and look around to see if I am missing anything lurking outside a couple of the friendliest ones come running out and stand right up against my legs - touching my legs. if I walk they walk and follow me around like puppies. The rest won't even come out! They finally come out after a few minutes but the whole flock follows me around. When I go out of the run they run back inside the coop!
    takes a while like maybe 1/2 hour then they finally come out.
    How are they sensing a predator or is it something else?
    Does anyone have any thoughts?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It may very well be that a predator is trying to access the coop during the night, and they are aware of that.

aart likes this.
  3. spiritliz

spiritliz Chirping

Jan 12, 2013
    Thank - I never thought of that.
    Any ideas on why I have found 2 eggs that have been laid while they are on the roosting bar at night?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: