sensitive stomach?(Update)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by siz8003, Apr 9, 2009.

1. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    I have a 2 YO Saint Bernard female that cant eat anything! I have had her on just about every kind of food and she still gets loose stools all the time. I have had her checked for worms and there is none in there. I had her on Panakare plus for a month and no results. She is eating Innvoa dog food now and has been on this for 3 months ..no change.So my Q is does anyone out there have simular issues with their dog and would you have any suggestions for me.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  2. Goattalker

Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Try finding a food that has beet pulp in it like AttaBoy. It is not a terrible great food, but it can help her gut adjust. After a few months of great stools, then I would reintroduce the desired feed.

3. Goattalker

Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    You might also try cooking rice, and mixing that with her kibble. It can help firm things up.

4. siz8003

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    Thanks for the reply. I think I will try the rice

5. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    assuming that you have tried a lamb and rice formula of one of the major brands...then I would try Loyall made by Nutrena..One of my girl shorthairs had this same sort of problem...she had the loose stools, threw up after every meal, but was always hungry..she even would get scabs on her skin. My dogs vet said it must be an alergic reaction and that I should try switching dog food brands I tried seemingly every brand of dog food...not the cheap ones either and nothing worked. I finally asked my horse vet what she would recommend...She said that most dog food is processed and bagged by the manufacturer with the cheapest bid made to the producer...In other words a dog food may be bagged in a dog chow bag(just an example...all brands do it) but produced anywhere and possibly more than one plant...even over seas...ie the china dog food tainting...She told me to get a dog food that was made in the country at the same plant every time...this leads to a more consistent diet...Sure enough I switched to a River Run brand made by Nutrena....in minnesota,I think, Problem over...2 months later you wouldn't be able to tell that she had been "sick"..The dogs vet was amazed that she could turn around like this while eating a "cheap" dog food...

One more thing now that I think of it...I remember the dog vet saying that the ration that I switched to was lower in protein than the "good" bagged food....little did she know, once a day I give a raw egg to each of my dogs on their dry dog food....this raises the protein level and increases palatabilty...confirmed by my horse vet. I know my eggs are hormone/drug free...while instead "dog food producers" use horrible things to raise the protien levels in their rations....the key word left out horrible and cheap.

moral of the story buy feed from a feed company...not a major discount store chain.

6. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Have you had her checked for coccidiosis? This is a protozoan that gets into the intestinal tract of dogs, cats, and other mammals. Sometimes they get it from sneaking a drink from a puddle of standing/stagnant water. You can change foods from now til the cows come home and not get rid of the loose stools if that is what they have.

HTH

Rusty

7. siz8003

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    yup ...The vet said none in there

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I agree with ()relics.

We have a 11 year 9 month old Saint Bernard (average life span is 6-8 years) that has never had one of the big name expensive brand of dog foods. DH brings her food home from the feedmill he works at. Feed companies know food. Don't be fooled by the high price tag in this case. I also feed Penny an egg a day. It's funny to watch her carefully take the egg into her mouth, carry it to where she wants to eat it, nip it open, lick the egg out and then eat the shell.

We had another Saint before Penny and she was 10 1/2 years old when we lost her. She also never had an expensive big name dog food.

9. siz8003

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    so where do I start...Agway?

10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Do you have a local feed mill/store? If so, try there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by