separate bedrooms?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Blondiechic, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Blondiechic

Blondiechic Chirping

Feb 1, 2012
    Hello!

I have three silkies and five big girls - the silkies live in a house and run of their own in the back garden and the big girls free range - they spend a bit of time around the silkies run as they can come and go as they please, they seem to like each other through the fence.

If I let the silkies out with them and they are all ok together, will the silkies still go to bed in their house or will they try to go to the big girls house? I want to keep them near me as they are a bit molly coddled at night and I think they are too small (and one is too slow) to be in the paddock.

Also, two of the silkies are babies and the breeder told me that blue ones can become boys a bit later (she is a girl at the moment) - what do I look for with her to see if she is changing? She is very brave and quite active (apparently she will slow down with age I have been told).

Thank you!

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Songster

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    1 Home coops. They may stay at their coop they may go to the big girls. The big girls may stay in theirs or use the little girls.
    2 Paddock safe: Sounds as if you have big animals. So a lot depends on the big animals. 3 Sex of chick: Slikies start displaying their sex a little latter than most breeds. It is often said you can't tell a slikies sex until it crows or lays an egg.

3. Blondiechic

Blondiechic Chirping

Feb 1, 2012
    thank you - I guessed they may be the answers - maybe limited time in back garden for the fluffies and prayers Soda doesn't start to crow later on!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: