Separate chicks from mom?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by heby, Mar 19, 2013.

1. heby

heby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    I have 3 game hens that decided to become broody within a week of each other. One went missing to the woods and for a while we were afraid something got her. However I seen her one day and knew she was sitting. We looked but could never find her. Right on schedule she came home yesterday with 12 babies! We put them in a brooder to keep them safe and when we went out to check on them this morning, 7 were dead. They looked like she had squashed them. Is it possible that it was too many for her to cover? Or maybe she is a good sitter but not good mama? I removed the other 5 and put them in different brooder and turned her in with other chickens but now she seems like she keeps looking for them. The other 2 hens should be hatching next week. One hen is sitting on 10 eggs and the other one has been hiding her eggs and it sitting on 19!! The one with the most, was a great mom to the 4 she hatched at the beginning of the year. But I'm very concerned since these are larger amounts of chicks. What do to?

Also with the new babies, they don't seem to be eating or drinking yet. I've never raised day old chicks since the hen did it all last time. Is this normal? Thank you for all your help

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    The chicks should start eating/drinking soon enough.
    Make sure the food/water is right in front of them.
    You can dip their beaks in the water so they'll know what it is.
    Also you can lay out a paper towel and sprinkle some feed on it and let them see your fingers pecking at it.
    They usually get interested and want to peck at it, too.

I usually take chicks away from moms that allow them to die.
    I did have a guinea mom that was raising about 25 babies (she came out of the woods with them all struggling to follow. Guineas are known to be the WORSE moms on the planet (and I've seen how bad they are), so I removed all of her babies except the one that seemed to be keeping up with her. I gave all the babies to other broody moms to raise. Well, this guinea mom kept pacing back/forth wanting her babies back. So I moved her to another pen and gave her 3 babies at first and she did well with them, so a couple days later I gave her 3 more. She turned out to be a very good mom (in the pen). The rest of the babies were raised by my chickens.

3. heby

heby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    Thank you. Since the only broody ones that I have right now are the one with such large amounts of eggs to hatch, I just don't think they will be able to care for so many at one time. I think I'm going to just remove them all and see how it goes. The mom of the newly hatched ones have now returned to the others as the day has progressed. I do worry that the hen with so many will keep searching for hers since she was such a great mama last time. I guess I will just have to wait and see. Mayb just give her a few like she had last time. I just don't want to have such a devastating loss again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by