Separate my 6 ducklings from chicks? Poult pak?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JuicyFatHead, May 20, 2011.

1. JuicyFatHead

JuicyFatHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    WNC
    Today I got in the last of my new additions. 19 chicks and 6 cayuga ducklings. I've read it's best to separate the ducklings from the chicks.. mostly for the chicks' sake. My question is; at this age (one-two days old) should I leave them together for warmth? They are together right now. I'm going to have to feed them soon.. and I also read to feed the ducklings separately. So I have flock raiser for the ducks.. and starter of course for the chicks. I also have poult pak from metzer farms to give the ducklings. So my other questions is: should I separate them also to make sure the ducks get their poult pak and the chicks get their gro-gel and NOT vice versa? I've been researching and reading for months. But my father died and I left home for 5 weeks to be with my mother.. and now I'm all a mess trying to remember everything. I'm reading storeys guide right now too.

My plan is to separate my ducklings and chicks... separate heat lamps etc. etc..

One more question: is it too early to put a bowl of water in with the ducks? I noticed they were already hanging out in the little lid I filled with water! haha I saw some neat tricks on BYC for 'less messy' watering with the ducks...

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I have never put ducks and chicks together so I am probably not alot of help their. I think the main thing is ducks should not have medicated starter... least i never feed mine that. I feed my ducks and chicks the same stuff over here it is turkey starter which is high protein around 20%. I am sure one of the members from america will chime in soon and tell you whats is best to feed them. I put water in a very shallow dish from the day they are born so they can just paddle if the feel like it but can was their beaks too.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. JuicyFatHead

JuicyFatHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    WNC
    Quote:Thank you for your advice! Yes, I heard many people feed their full grown ducks/chickens regular laying feed and supplement whatever else the ducks need.. to avoid getting the feed mixed? I guess flock raiser is not good for chickens?

4. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Everyone can eat the flock raiser and the starter food. I don't think the chicks will be able to eat the flock raiser because it is too big for them. You can keep them together for warmth and companionship if that is what you want to do. I raised mine together. You will just need to figure out your own solution to keeping the chicks dry. Ducks are very messy, but you just gotta lovem. A SMALL bowl of water will be fine for them as long as you keep an eye on them and don't let them get chilled.

Congratulations and Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by