Separate roosters at what age?

Hobbits Mommie

Songster
Sep 21, 2018
Lakeland, FL
I was given 22 chicks and two baby turkeys, at least 16 are roosters. Now 3 + months old. The roosters are showing some aggression towards each other, and ganging up on one of the turkeys. Should I go ahead and remove them from the run? What's the most ethical and humane way to deal with the roosters?

I was given 22 chicks and two baby turkeys, at least 16 are roosters. Now 3 + months old. The roosters are showing some aggression towards each other, and ganging up on one of the turkeys. Should I go ahead and remove them from the run? What's the most ethical and humane way to deal with the roosters?
If your wanting to use them for meat then the small pruning scissors at Home Depot or Lowe's work great. But there's really no age to seperate them it depends on when they start fighting.

I would move every known cockerel into a bachelor pad away from the pullets. That should stop the fighting.
What you do with them is up to you. You can wait until they are big enough to process and butcher them all. If you personally cannot do that, you can start looking for someone who will do it for you.
If you have any that seem like they may be good prospects for flock leaders, you can keep them and try them out with the pullets after the rest are gone. Then pick your favorite and keep him and rehome/butcher the other(s).
You have an awful lot of cockerels to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom