Separated toe joint in cockerel.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LandC, May 20, 2019.

1. LandC

LandC In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2019
    Hello. My 22 week old Barred Plymouth Rock got into a scuffle with another chicken and managed to injure his back toe. X-ray from vet showed separation between 2 of his toe joints in this toe. Vet bandaged his foot and told us to change regularly but that it should heal in 4 to 6 weeks. During this time, the cockerel compensated by resting on his hock on that leg. Long story short, 5 weeks later the injury hasn't healed, he's developed a pressure sore on his hock and likely some tendonitis. He's had repeat scans at the vet which show some bony growths near the joints have also developed. The vet wants to now amputate his back toe as he said it's unlikely to heal. I'm so worried about the poor little chicken and feel sick at the thought of him potentially not being able to recover from this- amputation seems so extreme. I'm wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation, has any advice, or can shed any light on other potential treatments. Any help is very very appreciated!!!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry to hear about your cockerel.
    If you have photos you wish to share they may be helpful.
    Hopefully other will chime in.

I can't offer suggestions as to whether the amputation would be the right thing to do or not, you would need to discuss that with your vet further.

What you can try is making a sling for your cockerel to get him upright and off his hock so the pressure sore can hopefully heal.
    Here's one to give you an idea - if you google "chicken sling" then choose images or video you should find quite a few designs that may suit your needs.

Eggcessive likes this.
  3. LandC

LandC In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2019
    Thanks so much for your advice. We made a sling for him a few days ago but unfortunately he was really freaked out by it and kept flapping around and getting caught we might try again at night tonight and see how he goes.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Some chickens don't tolerate a sling very well, but it might be worth trying again.
    I would only put him in there for short periods of time monitored and see how it goes.

Eggcessive likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: