Separating 4 month sister rabbits

Nena4o8

In the Brooder
May 17, 2021
Hello,
I have two sister rabbits that are 4 months old. They tend to hump each other to show dominance. I was thinking of separating them until they are spayed. Will it be bad to separate 4 month bonded sisters? I'm not too sure if they are completely bonded, but they have been with each other since birth and do tend to groom each other occasionally.

Once you get them fixed you'll have to bond them again. Rabbits aren't truly bonded until after they've been fixed and have gone through the whole bonding process.
Spaying will not only improve their temperament, but it will help with their litter habits as well. Un-spayed does often develop ovarian cancer (among other health issues), so getting them fixed will eliminate that risk. And of course getting your rabbits fixed will prevent any accidental litters, which means less homeless and dumped rabbits in shelters and on the streets.

Bonding rabbits isn't quite as easy as sticking them together in their enclosure right after being fixed though. They should have time to heal from the procedure before being reintroduced. There is a process to it, which is explained well in these videos.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom