Separating a hen and her chicks...

Kiley_Mahan

Chirping
Apr 5, 2020
So it’s my first time with letting a broody hen hatch out her own chicks. And though I know this probably happens all the time, I was wondering how separating her from her chicks would cause her to react? The chicks are about 3 weeks old and they’ve not been separated before so I was just curious to if it would effect her at all. Does she even realize what went on or is she a bit panicked for a while? What’s your experiences?

Last edited:
So it’s my first time with letting a broody hen hatch out her own chicks. And though I know this probably happens all the time, I was wondering how separating her and her chicks would cause her to react? The chicks are about 3 weeks old and they’ve not been separated so I was just curious to if it would effect her at all. Does she even realize what went on or is she a bit panicked for a while? What’s your experiences?
I have only hatched chicks under a broody hen 2 times and we move them They should do fine as long as she has all her chicks!

I don't know why you would want to separate a hen from her chicks. . .I wouldn't do it. The hen is so much easier than putting chicks in a brooder and raising them yourself. Mama takes care of the heat, the teaching to eat, all the important chicken stuff. Leave them with her. She will tire of them soon enough and leave them behind. :p

Separating a broody from her chicks? I wouldn’t, if you value your life :lol:
When we’ve had to move them and grab the chicks we always grab the broody first.
Hold tight because they’re extremely strong! More than one would think. Even bantys.
If you’re talking about taking the chicks away from the broody permanently, I wouldn’t do that unless she is harming them or has abandoned them. Most broodys will absolutely freak if separated from her babies and the chicks do too.
The majority stop mothering them at around 6-8 weeks although some will stop as early as 3-4 weeks (I don’t let them raise babies again) and some continue to care for them almost until POL.
Occasionally I’ve had to separate a chick to clean it because of pasty butt or something.
Momma would try to attack me and be very disturbed until I brought the chick back, usually trying to get me again when I put it back with her lol.

Back
Top Bottom