separating a sick chicken when you only have 2?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elizabeth1224, Dec 31, 2013.

1. elizabeth1224

elizabeth1224 New Egg

Aug 13, 2013
    I have two young chickens, a buckeye who just this week laid her first egg, and an ameraucana who has not started laying. Two days ago the ameraucana started acting lethargic, not acting like her normal energetic self. She's puffing up her feathers, but otherwise looks normal and poop looks normal. I'd like to separate her for a few days and move her into the garage where it's warmer so I can treat her, but I'm concerned about how the other chicken will fare alone during the cold winter nights. I know they prefer to have company, and I'm unsure of how much they rely on each other for warmth when it's cold. It is projected to get down into the teens overnight within the next few days. Will she be ok? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    With only two birds, I would probably go ahead and just move both of them. Separating them will upset them both anyhow, so you might as well keep them together. How is your Am eating and drinking?

3. elizabeth1224

elizabeth1224 New Egg

Aug 13, 2013
    She is eating and drinking, and when I let them out of the run, she forages for a few minutes as well, but just not as energetically as the buckeye. Then, she will stand next to the run and "rest" for several minutes before moving around again. She's usually very acrobatic, jumping up on top of the run and the coop, but she hasn't done that the last couple days. It makes sense to keep them together, since both will need treatment anyway. I've added apple cider vinegar to their water, will likely start them on Corid in the morning. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by