Separating an Aggressive Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dsbailey70, Feb 13, 2015.

1. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    My two Silkies, Minnie and Pearl, have recently lost some feathers, but I wasn't sure who to blame. It's become clear now that my BR, Annie Oakley, is the culprit. She's always seemed to be top hen, but over the last few days, I've caught her displaying aggression that just seems too far outside the normal asserting the pecking order. In one attack, Annie ran down one of the silkies, who immediately assumed the submissive posture, but Annie started popping her anyway. Today, one of the silkies saw Annie and ran, trying to avoid her, but she went right after her. I'm not going to tolerate this, but wasn't sure exactly what to do. Tonight, I've separated Annie, and put her in a large portable coop/run under my carport, out of sight of the rest of the flock. If I do move her within sight of the others, it won't be as easy to protect her from the elements, and I'm afraid if she can see the others, she may injure herself trying to get to them. Should she stay separated out of sight, or should I move the portable coop closer to the main one? How long should she remain separated?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Out of sight for at least a week would be my recommendation from what I've read, never dealt with that situation.
    Then back within sight for a little while before ranging them together again.

What is their coop and run size(feet by feet)?
    How old are they and how long have they lived together?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by