Separating and reintroducing injured chicken

Hanson1212

Hatching
Jan 20, 2019
Recently my chicken was losing feathers on her back near her tail. My husband thought it was molting but the bald area is getting bigger. She has some feathers that seem to be broken in that area too that won't heal and recently started bleeding. I'm bringing her to the vet soon, already have the appointment. Last time this happened I needed to keep the chickens separated until the injury was healed and was put on antibiotics. It is cold now, about 30 degrees on average. So I can't leave her alone in a sick area coop. Knowing I need to keep her separate until she is healed, what is the best way to reintroduce the chickens when she is healed? And does anyone have any recommendations for knowing which eggs are hers to avoid eating them after reintroducing them?

Do you have a rooster? Otherwise if you don't the feather loss is probably from picking. You can separate her right in the coop. I currently have a few extra roosters separated and our temperatures are colder here, they do fine.

Otherwise if you take her somewhere warmer you will have problems acclimating her back to the colder temperatures and that can cause more problems. Unless your hen lays distinct eggs it will be hard to tell which are hers. I have read of people using dyes and lipstick in the vents, but I assume it would need to be applied repeatedly.

Last edited:
Thank you! I've been so stressed worrying about her. I don't have a rooster. I've seen the other chickens peck at her a few times but now she's started on herself, that's why she's going to the vet. I am going to separate her using a different coop with attached run in the big run where they can still see each other. Do I need to worry about returning her slowly or should she be ok with a few visits under supervision then returned with the group?

Thank you! I've been so stressed worrying about her. I don't have a rooster. I've seen the other chickens peck at her a few times but now she's started on herself, that's why she's going to the vet. I am going to separate her using a different coop with attached run in the big run where they can still see each other. Do I need to worry about returning her slowly or should she be ok with a few visits under supervision then returned with the group?
She could possibly have depluming mites. I haven't dealt with them, only read about them. It's good you have a vet to see her.

All chickens and flocks are different. Here I can lock a bird separate and generally don't have problems releasing them, but sometimes I do. It all depends on the pecking order and how much room you have just to name a few factors.

I personally would do supervised outings initially to see how the rest react, than go from there. If there's troubles than back to the pen to try the next day. Repeat until everyone gets along again. Sometimes you need to remove the troublemakers for a while.

Hopefully you get it figured out for her, and she gets better soon.

Back
Top Bottom