Separating breeders - turkeys - small farm

HeritageFan

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Sep 21, 2022
We have 8 Holland white turkeys (3 hens and 5 Toms), and 4 Bourbon Reds (1 hen and 3 Toms). They all came from Murray McMurray, hatched 8/1, so will be 33 weeks old tomorrow.
I have papers from the hatchery for both breeds, and want to separate some to breed / a few Toms to breed next year to this year’s chicks.
Currently they are all in the same coop.
I’m looking for suggestions about what else we need to build, as well as suggestions for future combinations/ sale vs processing.
Two of my three Holland White hens have blue eyes :(. My plan is to put the three of them w a brown eyed white Tom for this spring, and hatch eggs in my incubator. My biggest and favorite Holland White is also blue eyed... I’m trying to decide if it is worth the extra generation (or two) to breed out the blue eyes.... or if it really matters all that much... although I’d like to be able to sell some show worthy birds to 4H / FFA kids if I have an opportunity, and I don’t want them to get knocked points or DQ’d for the non breed standard eye color.
For the Bourbon Reds, I have one Tom who is a main instigator of the boys’ brawls....and I plan to put him in the oven first.
I’d like to put the most docile BR Tom w the BR hen, and am thinking that I need to put the other BR, the huge blue eyed HW, and my other two brown eyed HW Toms into a “bachelor house” with a separate run.
I free range them whenever I’m home, which is frequently. I know that I won’t be able to free range them together once I separate the breeding groups... But I’m not in a position to fence in my entire property, so I need to be on site to keep an eye on them.
We have hawks, owls, bobcats, raccoon, coyote, as our main predation risks.
I also have a batch of Sweetgrass/ Fall Fire/ breeder’s choice to finish off the shipping requirements - poults coming in July. I’m very excited for the “calico” birds, and know they are not recognized for show purposes. But they are gorgeous, the same size as my big guys/ gals, and reportedly as docile (I handle mine often to clip wings ...and slather them w no peck after fights. They don’t love it but they are very easy to handle for ~30# birds!)
I hope to be able to raise the new poults that I hatch w the crew that are coming, and sell/ process those that I need to make decisions about to open up space.
For the homesteaders/ small time breeders,
- How much “value” have you found in “papered” turkeys?
- How much success have you found selling live birds (Toms, specifically). My state doesn’t allow me to even begin processing (dispatch) prior to them leaving my property, let alone cleaning/ plucking/ anything else.
Our last kiddo at home is allergic to beef; we eat a -lot- of Turkey. Ground, roasted, soup, lunch meat, etc.
It looks like I could -probably- sell the (live) adults for 80-100$ in my area. More if I was willing to part w a breeding pair. But my understanding is that first year hens are not as reliable at producing fertile eggs, so... maybe that could be something for next year? Once I (hopefully) have more hens?
It has cost us close to 100$ to raise them to this point, and ground Turkey here is 15$ for two pounds. Sliced Turkey/ lunch meat is about 15$ a pound.
It seems like processing our “excess” birds for our own use makes the most sense - but I would love to hear about the experiences of the rest of the community.
I am leaning toward trying to sell some of my Toms... but. I may be biased bc my husband would feel better if we had some $ to offset the costs to date. :/
9314754D-D295-4A2E-A9CA-F54D5461657F.jpeg
7072E46B-8963-42DE-8B2B-261B02C577D4.jpeg

Attachments

• 1ABFC23F-68F4-486F-B3F7-F4A651E2C687.jpeg
    1ABFC23F-68F4-486F-B3F7-F4A651E2C687.jpeg
    489.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 98EF3D57-C37E-43F0-A9C7-1158880F1D83.jpeg
    98EF3D57-C37E-43F0-A9C7-1158880F1D83.jpeg
    526.8 KB · Views: 18
- How much success have you found selling live birds (Toms, specifically). My state doesn’t allow me to even begin processing (dispatch) prior to them leaving my property, let alone cleaning/ plucking/ anything else.
I only sell live birds. If people want to process them, that's fine.

Selling day old poults is the objective. Once you start feeding them, any possible profit disappears very quickly.
But my understanding is that first year hens are not as reliable at producing fertile eggs,
Don't know where you heard this but it is completely bogus.

Some first year hens may not be good about setting on a nest and raising poults but I have never had an issue with fertility.
I have papers from the hatchery for both breeds,
All domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey. They are farther separated into varieties. You have two different varieties of turkeys.

You have far too many toms and need to reduce their numbers drastically. Around this time of year it is possible to sell some toms due to people losing their tom during the winter and it is breeding season now.

I only sell live birds. If people want to process them, that's fine.

Selling day old poults is the objective. Once you start feeding them, any possible profit disappears very quickly.

Don't know where you heard this but it is completely bogus.

Some first year hens may not be good about setting on a nest and raising poults but I have never had an issue with fertility.

All domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey. They are farther separated into varieties. You have two different varieties of turkeys.

You have far too many toms and need to reduce their numbers drastically. Around this time of year it is possible to sell some toms due to people losing their tom during the winter and it is breeding season now.
Thank you very much for the “nudge”
- that goes to all that have
replied thus far -
I’ll get some ads posted ❤️

I agree with everything @R2elk said. I don’t think I’ve ever had a non-fertile turkey egg, except for my first year when I didn’t have a tom.

Oh, and if you check out the turkey talk thread, and look for posts by @Huntmaster , he has a great set up of breeding and grow out pens.
Thank you!
I searched @Huntmaster ‘s threads, and didn’t see posts of their setup- just a handful of pics of poults/ adults, with a few shots in their sheds/ areas.
I’ll try again tomorrow to see if I can find more posts from them.
I would love to have more ideas as to getting my flock of mini pterodactyls set up as well as possible!

@Huntmaster
Thank you so much!
May I ask, about how big is the
“grow out”(?) pen?
The pen with the large roof with the adolescents in it?
Also, do you have predation concerns with the “kids” up on the perch but not closed in at night?
I have a large hoop coop that is secure over night, 5’ no climb perimeter fencing around a sizable yard that they range in when we aren’t home to keep an eye on them, and let them free range out of the yard as much as possible.
I need to break up my breeding pairs of White Hollands/ Bourbon Reds, and get ready to bring in Sweetgrass and Fall Fire poults in a few months.
My hoop coop is large enough to split for the few hens to keep the breeders apart/ with the proper mates.
And. I live in the PNW sooo
It is wet. And gross. In the winter. But
-typically- not too cold here ...

The smaller grow out pen in 1st pic is 20'x40' breeding pens are 20'x30'all the grow out pens and breeding pens have knotted netting tops. I also have 100'x50' and 50'x50' netted pens + about 1/4 acre fenced with it all attached to about a 3-acre pasture with the white fencing. I netted right over the small trees and shrubs and the (small building that is my brooder.)
IMG_0047.jpg
IMG_0044.jpg
IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG
IMG_0475.JPG
IMG_0439.JPG
IMG_0441.JPG
IMG_0277.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG

Back