separating feed for my laying chickens and my growing ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SDChef, May 30, 2010.

1. SDChef

SDChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    So all of my animals share a free ranging area (my backyard). however I can't seem to keep my chickens from eating all of my ducks feed. They seem to prefer the grower feed from their own layer feed. My chickens are around a year old and the ducks and geese are all 5 weeks old. They need to be out since their pen's are just night time pens and the chickens hate being in their run. I would love to not feed any of them during the day, but I think it may be to soon to cut them off just yet. Any ideas???

BTW everyone is getting along pretty well, the chickens are definately scared of the geese who do a good job protecting the ducks(from the chickens at least)!

2. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    If it were me, in terms of trying to simplify, I would just feed the grower to everyone and make sure to have some oyster shell for the hens. The hens may be craving more protien now anyway, I know mine are with spring in full swing.

3. SDChef

SDChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    good idea! I think I may start doing that. now could I "Cut" the grower with the layer feed that I have like 2/3 grower to 1/3 layer? or is that too much calcium for my ducks and geese? i have 2 full bags and the chickens could care less for it, and also don't want them just sitting around.

4. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    That's what I would do, and with it only being a few bags at most that you are trying to use up I wouldn't worry.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Exactly what I would recommend. (I have two Cayugas in with my flock o' chickens, plus a bunch of young chickens nowhere near laying age yet.) I still keep layer food AND oyster shell in the new coop for the layers, but only the Big Chickens "reside" there. There are 3 other coops of sorts for the youngsters of varying ages, so I have general purpose (grower/finisher) feed in a feeder where everybody congregates for food. The layers like the gen. purpose feed, so I am sure to keep oyster shell available for them. Sometimes I even toss some out like treats when just the Big Girls are gathered in one area, without the younger pullets or the ducks.

I wouldn't do a mix of feeds because I'm afraid of the extra calcium the ducks and young chickens would get. But that's just me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by