1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Separating two rooster BFF's

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mprivett, Nov 17, 2011.

1. mprivett

mprivett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Chatham County, NC
    So I have too many roosters right now (3 roosters and 2 hens, all Doms except for PR roo) and I'm planning on giving one away (the Partidge Rock) that's at the bottom of the pecking order to a co-worker of mine. I know he will be well-cared for and going to a good home with 3 ladies for him ready and waiting. BUT I am so sad because he is BEST FRIENDS with another one of my Dominique roos and I feel SO bad because I know they will be sad to leave each other. [​IMG] They go everywhere together, eat together, and when I take one away or pick one up the other one follows me around or cries for his friend when he can't find him. [​IMG] The Dom roo definitely does his little "dominance dance" over the PR roo, but they mostly stick together.

I think in the end it will be better on my 2 hens plus I plan on getting 2 more Dominique hens to add to my flock, but right now I just can't bear the thought of separating them even though I need to get rid of one. Will my Dominique roo left behind (beta roo) be okay or be picked on by the rest of the flock? I'm know I'm a sucker........[​IMG]

2. clucksbc

clucksbc Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    I understand...

I got suckered...my first chicken purchase
    ...i chose my two(suposib hens)
    and the one that would be left jumped on top of the box ...they were in..
    I felt..sorry for it...and even though I worried roo...just couldn't bare..to leave the poor thing...
    and he grew into a lovely friendly though very talketively loud..then...the most beautiful..showed he was trying out for the rooster choire...
    I got a couple more chickens along the way...then I was so very shocked...the third purchased that day...at 7 months..started crowing...If ever there was a hen...thought it was one...
    but...I only ended up getting rid of 2 (to a farm...where they are hapily living out there lives free range)...the third...was protective...and kindly attached to...my sweet bantum barred cochin...she was lowest on the pecking order...often keeping to herself...and couldn't bear to take away her friend...
    so I understand...

3. mprivett

mprivett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Chatham County, NC
    It's just so hard when I know the two roo's will miss each other a lot..........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by