separating wild bantam mom from chicks? good/bad idea...

talkinboutmygirls

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 4, 2008
I was given a small bantam hen mommy with 14 2-day-old chicks by a farmer/neighbor last night! They are SOOOO cute! Mom is a wild chicken - one of about 50 free ranged by day and roosting in the treetops at night on a huge farm that no one lives on. He throws grains and talks to them when he is there checking on the horses, but other than that they get no "lovin".

I am newly addicted - my 1st batch of chicks I got in early May (3 RIRs, 2 BR, 2 brown leghorns and 2 white ones) and I've just started getting 2 eggs a day! (So exciting!!) These girls I handled a lot when they were tiny and they come running when they see or hear me. They cluck back to me when I talk to them.

My problem is this - I know that mom will do an excellent job of caring for them; she is a VERY good mom and her hatch was 100%. I have no clue if she is a first-time mom but she is so protective of them. I'd like for these little guys to be just as excited to see me - or more - but if I can't handle them, I don't think they will be. I spent quite a while last night and again this evening, sitting and talking to her and the chicks this evening (doesn't that actually sound so silly?! lol) I was able to snatch a couple of them to cuddle for a minute but she really hurts when she bites so I am fearful. Should I leave them alone and let her be or should I take them all from her and put them in my brooder or should I leave her a few and take the majority of them? I have no clue what to do. I don't want to let her make them wild. I have read on here that the mom will leave them at about 5 weeks - but those first weeks are crucial to connecting with them!

I'm in a quandary...

also, I'm wondering about putting the smaller breed in same coop/run with my larger girls. What I've read says it will be ok - to introduce slowly and lots of visual contact before.

Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks!

I have a couple of EEs that were about 4 months old and very skittish when I got them, but after feeding them treats daily for the past month and a half they are the first ones to come running! I guess I don't really have advice, just letting you know that some of the wild ones can calm down with patience.

How will she react? I don't want to send her into the pits of post-partum depression! lol
That's kind of why I think maybe I should leave her a couple..?

Also, I got the first bunch just before school was finished and I had all summer to mess with them ( I teach) Right now I don't have as much time to spend cuddling them....just during the evenings - that's a very short time.

You should leave them with her !!!! She is doing a GREAT job taking care of her babies (they are hers not yours) She sat for 21 days to hatch them, unless she is not being a good mom then I see no reason to screw with her head !!!!! Sounds awful to take them away, I would sit with her like you are doing and talk to her and the chicks they will become use to you !!!! Maybe not just like your others but they will get to know you !!! Maybe try putting some gloves on so when she bits it doesnt hurt as bad, She has to be very confused with the moving and I dont think taking her babies away from her would help that !!!! When she gets more settled in she might be more open to getting to know you and sharing her babies.

Back
Top Bottom