Separation After Bumblefoot Treatment?

MrsAuberry00

Songster
Apr 30, 2017
Southern Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
During health inspections today, I discovered one of my girls has a small spot of Bumblefoot. I'll be doing the non-surgical removal recommended by Tilly's Nest. In the article, she states the hen should be separated from the flock for a time and I want to know if this is imperative. If she stays with the flock, do I need to pad the roost? If she does have to be separated, how long? This is my first experience with Bumblefoot so I'm learning as I go.

Thanks in advance.

The idea of separation is to keep her activity level down and "hopefully" keep the foot as clean and dry as possible while it heals. A wire dog kennel placed in the run is sufficient for separation. Add a nice layer of pine shavings along with food/water. She is still with the flock during the day so will be much happier. (Scoop out poop daily or add another good layer of shavings to help keep the feet cleaner).

I had to read the article to see what you were asking about for the roosts. Padding is a good idea, if you can safely do it. I think the logistics of getting towels to stay on roosting bars and actually convincing a chicken (at least the one you want) to roost on them may be difficult. Having a second crate/kennel/large tub to place her in at night may be the another option to consider.

Keep us posted and let us know how it goes.

Okay, thanks. We have a small kennel we can keep her in with the flock. I guess we just keep her separated until the foot is healed? It doesn't really say how long to keep the foot bandaged but I'm guessing a week or so?

I would check it after a couple of days, just to make sure you see no signs of infection and the "hole" is closing up, then re-wrap. As for healing time, it all depends on how large of an area. It could be a few days to a couple of weeks. Since you won't be doing any cutting, I would check in 2day intervals. Baring any kind of infection, it should heal fairly quickly.

My hen is having a bumble removed as we speak at the vet. I fear separating her as she’s a polish and it’s taken a long time for her to find her way with the older hens. I’m very hesitant to do so….many don’t separate so I’m curious on what you’d think of that.

Back
Top Bottom