separation anxiety

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PDXChickGirl, Sep 29, 2007.

1. PDXChickGirl

PDXChickGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    My husband and I just finished our coop this evening (thanks everyone for your advice - we ended up having hardware cloth fastened along the bottom, and then covered it with lots of sand - I'll take pics as soon as we have sun again). The girls have been playing in the run during the day this whole week while I was working outside.

This evening, we had the HARDEST TIME getting them into the roost box for the night. They were so scared and would not let go of me. They just kept running up my arm and trying to get behind my neck where it's harder to reach them. We finally got them all in there, and they are just peeping so much. They sound scared, and I don't know what to do. I thought they were supposed to want to go to the roost. Is this normal??? It took me nearly 20 minutes to get 4 six week olds to bed. In case it matters, I have 1 Ameracauna, 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes, and 1 Australorp.

Of course, rainy season is not coming early to Portland, and we're supposed to have lots of rain for the next few days. I'm now worried about their staying dry and warm and wanting to go to bed. (sigh). What's a mother to do? [​IMG]

Thanks for any advice!

2. PDXChickGirl

Sep 12, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    One more thing...it's going down to 50 degrees tonight. Should I use a heat lamp? They are used to mid-60s. They are pretty much feathered out. There is a little down behind their wings.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They should be fine. This is just all new to them and they'll adjust okay, mom.

4. PDXChickGirl

Sep 12, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    Thank you! I just checked on them and all is quiet. We'll see how they are tomorrow. Sorry to sound like such a worry wort.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by