Separation anxiety

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kedreeva, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    So I just hatched out 5 chicks a couple days ago, and they're all healthy, eating drinking etc. They even pick certain times and do those things all at the same time and then sleep in a ball..... except one.

The first born, Thirty, doesn't want to sleep with the other cheeps, he wants to sleep with ME. He will stand a little bit away from the group and give the "I'm lost" scream until I go over and pick him up. He woke me up this morning like a really persistent alarm clock (I thought he would stop but 5 minutes later he was still squawking). So I went over and he's the only chick that seems to know where I am, looking up when I walk to the brooder. I took him out and we took an hour nap with the cat (my calico has zero interest in the chicks). He 'nests' in my hair, talks back when I say cheep cheep and 'grooms' my face when I laugh at him. I can't decide whether to be baffled or charmed!

The thing is, he's fine when the others are awake but he just doesn't like sleeping with them! I had another chick last hatch who didn't like to be alone (would just scream ad scream if left alone or in the dark, unlike the others who just didn't care if they were alone or not. But the last chick would at least be quiet if there were other chicks with him.

Has anyone else had a chick like this?

2. NarleevilleClucks

NarleevilleClucks In the Brooder

May 27, 2009
    Linthicum, Maryland
    No, but it sounds completely and utterly sweet! I'm so jealous! To be loved by a chicken...has to be a great thing...mine won'te even eat out of my hand!

3. awheel11

awheel11 Chirping

Jun 23, 2010
    I just picked up a a couple weeks old chick at a pet swap the other week. She hangs out with my phoenix chicks during the day but as soon as night comes she starts screaming for me! If i ignore her she flies to my shoulder and nuzzles up to my neck. I have to tear myself away though and set her back down, all I can hear as I walk away are her lonely cries [​IMG]

I just love her! Her name is peaches. Here she is with the phoenixes:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by