Separation anxiety?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jeepchick, May 14, 2011.

1. jeepchick

jeepchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Loudon, New Hampshire
    So I have 2 OEG bantams...one roo and one hen. They are about 18 weeks old or so. I bought them when they were about 12 weeks old and they spent the first 4 weeks in my kitchen after we figured out that the roo couldn't refrain from beating everyone up. We now have a coop set up for them with a nice little run right off the porch which they have been in for almost a week and yesterday got to venture out into the run. Every night when it starts getting dark the little roo starts to panic. He peep peeep peeeeeps non stop and the darker it gets the louder he gets. He paces in front of the door and pokes his face through the holes in the chicken wire until he finds one her can fit his head out. He then sticks it out as far as he can and jumps up on the door with his feet. I try to handle them when I can but hes not a fan of being picked up normally and neither but when its starting to be dusk when I open the door he actually jumps out a me until I cuddle him. Now when I say cuddle I mean unless hes tucked into my hand against my belly hes flapping and carrying on. It also makes me think when hes outside in the coop that he doesn't sleep because when I pick him up he rubs his face all over my shirt and instantly goes to sleep. I'm worried about it now thinking about how he sleeps because I think he stays up and paces the floor all night. So I am sitting in my recliner right now....with 2 OEG bantams laying across my belly on a towel. They have been here for about an hour and are sound asleep still cooing. But everytime I took my hand off them he would wake up and start peeping, so I covered them up with the towel and tucked it around them so only their little heads are sticking out and now they are happy little chickens.

So what do you think? Seperation anxiety? Afraid of the dark? Did they get to use to being in the house? Am I just a sucker? I feel awful leaving them out in the coop if hes not sleeping at all and is freaking out all night when im asleep. I have 6 cats and 3 bigs dogs that would object to 2 house chickens and a husband that would object to crowing in the house. Next thing I know ill be making them a spot on my pillow at this rate......please someone tell me what to do with them!!

1 person likes this.
  2. jeepchick

jeepchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Loudon, New Hampshire
    And there is light on the porch ....it doesnt shine directly inside the coops but its kind of ambient.

3. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    [​IMG] hello, i have 3 bigger chicks that have finally graduated to the outside coop. i still have three around 4 week old chicks in my bathroom:lol: the 3 inside are 2 buff orpingtons and one barred rock and mite i also say they are spoiled ROTT N!! i cant help it! they also like to be cuddled up and do the face rubbing they are also peeping while doing so. i hold them for a little while til they get a little quieter. then i put them on my robe in the floor yes i said my robe:/ i had been leaving them alight on first it was the heat light but seemed like they wanted to stay up alot during the night. so i changed from that to leaving one of my bathroom lights on. now i have noticed they do better when i cut all the lights off. i hated leaving them in the all dark but, i guess thats what they like. i lay them down cut the light off and go out and in a few minutes i hear them in the cooing. i assume that means they are happy, but they sleep all night that i know of. there has been alot LESS poop in the morning since i cut the light so i pretty much know they are sleeping. like i said they are spoiled my husband calls me the crazy chicken lady. used to call me crazy cat lady. we also have 2 cats,1 dog and fish. i can go in the bathroom sit down in the floor and they come running jump up in my lay and go to loving. i dred putting them outside for good [​IMG] i will miss them being inside all except the poop! i take them out during the day. i pretty much have to keep a seperater between them and the older ones. they really want to rough them up. anyway your not alone i hate just putting them down and going out but they really do prefer the dark and do fine. i love my chickens!![​IMG] good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by