Separation anxiety

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cheekygreek, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Cheekygreek

Cheekygreek Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    Oregon
    This is my first time raising chicks and we've had them about 5 days. I've noticed that everytime you take a chick out of the brooder the other chicks freak out chirping and looking everywhere for the other chick. Is this a common chick behavior? The second you put the chick back in they are all fine.

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Yes, it is normal. They already know each other and notice when someone is missing. There is safety in numbers so they worry when they are one less all of a sudden. they are relieved when their friend returns and the flock is whole again. I have seen and read several studies showing that chicks/chickens can count and have facial and voice recognition amongst themselves. [​IMG]

3. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

You seem to have an answer to your question… but if you will listen to the birds, they will tell and or teach you quite a bit. Chicks and for that matter chickens very much too, have a working set of sounds that vary from tenderness to alert, hawk overhead. And they react with such quickness, almost precision in localizing and reacting to danger, as well as there is food here. I never seem to tire of trying to learn the intended meanings of their sounds. Birds are lovely things.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I've raised five batches of chicks now, the sixth will be in May. I have a ritual where I start from day two or three and take two at a time out of the brooder each day for "lap training" - learning to be cuddled. The ones remaining behind always put up a huge fuss until their mates are returned. If the group is small enough, say three or four, I can handle them all at once, but for batches five or more, I have to break them up into smaller bunches or they'd end up getting away from me.

But, yes, they very quickly form a "unit". This unit is a tight little sister/brotherhood and it lasts a lifetime. They actually derive their self confidence from this unit, and I've noticed that the larger the unit, the more self confidence the chicks exhibit, especially when it comes time to merge with the adult flock. This is why I'm very adamant about discouraging people from trying to raise less than four chicks, especially if those chicks will be joining an established flock of adults.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by