Separation from Flock?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CoopintheWoods, Dec 30, 2016.

1. CoopintheWoods

CoopintheWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    One of my hens has a small injury near her tail, and she must be separated from the flock. I normally house the injured chicken in a fairly large dog crate in an unused bathroom (I let the bird outside to exercise), but the only bird who was previously hurt never got lonely, because she was very friendly with me. This bird, however does not like my company, Would it be better for the hen if the crate was placed in the coop and not completely separate from the flock?

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Buy Blu-kote spray........Treat the Bird and it never is wise to totally remove Birds from a flock...It causes a real hard time to reintroduce once healed....Spray her and release...If they continue to peck her, place her in a crate till healed in the coop......

Cheers!

3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I'd still separate her,and with blu Kote,it isn't always effective.

4. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Some chickens will not challenge her and some will,more then likely. If she is still present they probably will not have any reaction once let back into the pen.

5. chickens really

Hmmmm? Not sure but it has always worked with our Birds for over 30 years......

Cheers!

6. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    It usually is effective but I've tried it and one of our hens still was pecked in the spot.

7. chickens really

k.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by